• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunnies looking a bit chunky...

sierra*323

Mama Doe
Hi there,

How much weight is normal for outdoor rabbits to put on ready for winter? My two have definitely filled out a little lately, although I haven't changed their food routine... seems odd. I'm fairly certain it's not just fluff! Tango's coat looks loads thicker and healthier than when I first rescued him, but the vet notes from the rescue said he was actually overweight when they got him. I took him home a month later and he seemed quite scrawny to me. I'm not sure what their ideal weights should be! They don't look overweight to me, just a bit tubbier than before.

Edit: just thought, I've got them on meadow hay with the odd bit of herbage/timothy hay as a treat, whereas they used to have timothy hay as their main hay - surely that can't have made much difference?

Last edited:
I wouldn't think the change in their hay would make much difference. Are they getting less exercise? My Spenser has filled out - his free range time is mainly indoors now, which seems to mean he bobbles about ran than really getting up the speeds he could outside.

If they are due a vaccination soon you can ask the vet to weigh them and comment on their size.

Next vaccination isn't until Febuary. I wouldn't say they're getting less exercise... I guess a little extra weight isn't a bad thing during the winter. I'll keep an eye on how big they look and feel to make sure they don't go too far! They always seem hungry when they get their pellets, but when they're gone they're gone and it's hay and the occasional bit of veg until the next day.

My vet was talking about this Friday and said how there's a real trend of buns being slimmer in the summer, presumably because they need the extra fat for winter. Sounds as if they're doing as Nature intended :wave:

My vet was talking about this Friday and said how there's a real trend of buns being slimmer in the summer, presumably because they need the extra fat for winter. Sounds as if they're doing as Nature intended :wave:

Thanks, I did wonder if that was the case! As long as they don't get too carried away :lol:

That's good to know as oddly enough I noticed (as not having picked them up for a while) that when I did manage to get them on my lap today for an almighty fast cuddle :roll: that they seemed a bit heavier. Mind you, they are still growing as not quite 6 months old yet.

Back