• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neutering age.

rjeffery99

Young Bun
My rabbit Bugsy is 15 weeks old now and has already briefly met his planned wife, Midnight. I was just wondering how old a male rabbit needs to be before they can be neutered and how long is the recovery period before they can be introduced to another rabbit again. Also, how should I introduce them to each other to make sure they have the best chance at getting along. Any other advice is also welcomed. Thanks xx:D

Boys can be neutered when their "bits" have dropped, as long as the vet is happy with their weight etc. Males usually recover from the op within a few days, but you would need to wait longer than that before bonding to give the hormones a chance to die down.

Is his future wife spayed?

No because she is only about 13 weeks old but will be when the time is right. Do you know when this will be?

Most vets spay females at 6 months. It's important that you stop letting them "play" together as he can make her pregnant. They must also be kept separate for at least 5 weeks after he is neutered or she is spayed as he can remain fertile.

Boys can successfully mate 4-6 weeks after neuter, so it'll need to be at least that long before you get them together. My vet spayed my girl at 5 months, but does boys at 3 months.
So basically, you could get your Bugsy neutered in a couple weeks, then by the time he's ready to meet his wife, she'll be almost ready to spay, and then she'll need about 7-10 days of mellow time, and then they can meet :)

Back