• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox proof runs and scare equipment????

The * fox family.

I need some series suggestions and fast for who makes strong fox proof runs that are fairly high as Pumpkin can clear a good four foot plus when he binkies like an idiot. Whilst I do have a run my eldest son caught the fox scaling up the thing and prising a gap at the top. Looking at the outside of my present large run the rabbits have been gnawing outwards whilst the foxes have been trying to rip the wood inwards. It needs to now be replaced NOT repaired. Thankfully Tim hauled Teasel and Pumpkin inside after he smacked the fos in the face with a wet mop to make it back off long enough so he could get to the buns first. Pumpkin has taken to housebreaking as a hobby so keeping him as a housebun is not a brill idea.

I do have space for a very large run but cannot really go above £500 at the moment. Any suggestions for easy to assemble fox proof runs with fox proof roofs and doors. Thankfully I have a huge forsham hutch bought because it is fox proof but I would love to get my hands on a run quickly so I can let Pumpkin run wild and free in fox proof safety. If I cannot block the foxes out I have a big problem in ensuring the buns are happy and safe.

Can anyone tell me if rabbits are upset by anti fox sonic devices as I am up against a large family of sub-urban foxes which are proving to be very persistant and I have already lost Arnie to them last winter. Lights are okay to use at night but the foxes are around at all hours.:evil:

Forgot to add- thanks to a husband who is useless with woodwork and a neurologist who signed me off after the latest run of migraine/cluster headaches leaving me unable to hold or do stuff doing anything much for the next year DIY is not an option.

Last edited:
Get some custom aviary panels made using a thick wood and some thick galvanised wire mesh. I'd definately have panels on the floor as well, lay turf on top if you want them to have grass.

The sonic fox deterrents shouldn't affect rabbits.

I'd keep them indoors for the time being.

Electric fence? Is it possible to get electric fencing tape around the top of the perimeter fence/wall?

sonic fox watches do not affect rabbits

electrified wire/rope/bungees around the base and top of the run works wonders . .

Get some custom aviary panels made using a thick wood and some thick galvanised wire mesh. I'd definately have panels on the floor as well, lay turf on top if you want them to have grass.

The sonic fox deterrents shouldn't affect rabbits.

I'd keep them indoors for the time being.

I would also double mesh the panels. This is commonly suggested for bird-keepers to give additional protection from cats and foxes - I mean to put mesh both sides of the wood thus giving you double the protection giving an inch between the fox and the rabbits should the fox get that close. I have done this for my guinea pigs' hutch as I have rats that free-range in the same room. It works as the rats can't get to the pigs.

Can you have a full height aviary? You could get half-wood panels to give additional protection and to make the rabbits feel more secure and put their hutch in the middle of it.

I would also double mesh the panels. This is commonly suggested for bird-keepers to give additional protection from cats and foxes - I mean to put mesh both sides of the wood thus giving you double the protection giving an inch between the fox and the rabbits should the fox get that close. I have done this for my guinea pigs' hutch as I have rats that free-range in the same room. It works as the rats can't get to the pigs.

Can you have a full height aviary? You could get half-wood panels to give additional protection and to make the rabbits feel more secure and put their hutch in the middle of it.

this works well in theory (and indoors) - but its hell to get the hay and poo out from between the two mesh layers and you can then get a fly problem. A blast with a presuure cleaner helps but bits seem to still stay stuck:evil:

Half wood panels are a good idea.

I am currently thinking of building a heavy wire fence that runs across from the edge of the kitchen to nextdoor. That would mean I could easily see them from the lounge, kitchen and dining room when I am in. If its by the house it should be possible to electrify the thing with a secure run built inside.

Trying to track down a fencing contractor for the former. This may take some time.
Has anyone used any of the folk who make stronger avairy panels or the much larger screw together runs/avairys. Would you recommend them.

When I first kept rabbits over 10 years ago I had no problem with the foxes at the top of my garden they stayed in the top garden and only wondered through the veg garden from time to time. Now they come through the fruit garden into the fourth and right into the fifth that is by the house. Over the past two years they seem to have had some kind of population explosion and the bickering over territory drives the young adults right by my house. The only positive of this is there are hardly any rats about these days so I guess the foxes now fancy rabbit as the main course after their rattus appertif.:roll:

Pumpkin is indoors after the freezer - he is not doing that again blocked him with huge rocks and very heavy wire panels so he can run. Teasel is sulking and refussing food as she hates being indoors. She is a teny rabbit so I will have to let her back in the hutch but make sure its well locked. Its a Forsham Giant Hutch so she has lots of room.

Back