• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Molly's Hocks - Bad News :(

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Sadly, Molly has had another flare-up with her hocks. She has an enlarged toe, full of fluid and her skin is red and inflamed and some broken skin on her hocks. This is so disheartening, i thought we were getting somewhere with the aloe vera gel. Its been a month since she's had an infection (after 3 months of constant infection) so I thought we were past the worst.:(

What I think has caused this is her myxi vaccination, which she had 10 days ago. Her toe has only started getting bigger since then and near enough straight after the vaccine, she started getting red skin. :cry: I feel terrible. But I know that she needed her vaccine and at the time I thought it was the right thing to do.

I think right now we need to just sort out her skin and apparent infection of the toe and then see about the VHD vaccine (which she should be having this coming Thursday, which won't be happening now). Do you think I should wait a few weeks before giving her the VHD vaccine? I'm smothering her feet in aloe vera gel to try and help her skin to heal a bit but her toe isn't ready yet to lance so will have to sit and wait with that. I will get photos tonight.

Sorry to hear about Molly :(. You didn't know she would react like that to the vaccine, if that is what has caused it.

I think I would hold off with the VHD, as you said, until she was feeling a bit better.

Sending loads of vibes.

thanks. I just did the aloe vera gel and realised that her toenail is sort of loose in the enlarged toe. Could this be due to the amount of fluid in there? Or could it be more serious than that? Whats strange is that there is no pus that I can see in the toe, just loads of clear fluid. The other time she had a toe abscess, it was very pussy and every abscess she has had on her hocks has been very pussy, but this is just fluid. Is this an emergency? I put salt water on her skin of the toe to try and draw any infection out to the surface, but don't know how effective it will be.:cry:

:( Sorry, I've no idea. At a guess, I would say that it's either all the fluid, or an infection in the nail bed (if their nails are the same as ours).

I don't think it is an emergency. If she was mine, I think I would wait and take her to the vet first thing in the morning. Unless you could phone a vet for advice if you are worried?

Hopefully someone who knows a bit more will come along.

Sorry, i've no experience of sore hocks, but I just wanted to say it sounds very sore and such a shame when you thought you;d got on top of things. Sending lots of get well vibes to Molly xx

Sorry to hear this but you did what you thought was best. If she hadn't been vaccinated you could have been facing myxi instead - it's one of those damned if you do/damned if you don't situations :(

Sorry to hear this but you did what you thought was best. If she hadn't been vaccinated you could have been facing myxi instead - it's one of those damned if you do/damned if you don't situations :(

yes. Myxi is a hell of a lot worse than this (she would have been PTS if she had myxi). Hopefully this will just need lancing and a course of antibiotics (I hope and pray). :( She's as bouncy and happy as anything though, so she's certainly not suffering at the moment.

Sorry to hear Molly's hocks are bad again. Hope the vets can help, good luck and lots of vibes for her xx

thanks guys for the vibes. looks like they worked because I went to the vet and there isn't an infection at the moment. her toe is just inflamed and swollen, no fluid or pus. She's on a course of Metacam (for pain-relief and anti-inflammatory) and had an injection of Terramycin (antibiotics) just in case there is an underlying infection somewhere that we can't see, and also to stop any infection going into her toe (the vet had to lance the toe to find out what was in it so there's obviously a wound there now). But hopefully it'll go down soon and she can have her VHD jab in a couple of weeks. :)

Back