• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dont know what to do :(

tracey madigan

Warren Scout
I have bought two groups of my rabbits new wendy houses and we have insulated them and lined them with plywood ,inside they have cushion flooring and a big dog bed stuffed with straw and hay .

Anyway when i go to check on them last thing they are all sitting on the floor instead of in the bed so i am wondering whether to take the bed out and fill the whole thing with hay and just give them a litter tray ?

I went to bed feeling upset last night as i was worrying about them all ,any ideas would be really appreciated ,logic tells me they would get into bed if cold but i still stress over them:roll:

sounds like they're very well provided for! don't worry about them. what is your dog bed like? is it a cushiony type or a little house? i'm not familiar with them. if you have a little house, i'd leave it in, a hide is always welcome. if its a cushiony thing, well, mine have never taken to those so i'd take it away.

I wouldn't worry too much as rabbits wont be feeling the cold at the minute any way, they are pretty hardy in even the coldest weather. As long as you have provided a place for them to snuggle then you've done all you need. Some people do cover the whole floor with hay or straw when it starts to get really cold. I don't though. Mine spend most of their time in the run :roll: :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't worry. They have the option of laying somewhere warm, snuggly and dry but choose to lay on the floor. Mine always do this. One winter, I worried so much about them being warm that I covered the whole shed floor in a deep layer of beautiful quality straw. Pea and Pod spent the next few hours systematically pushing it all out through the rabbit flap :roll::roll::roll:. In fact, as above, they spend most winter nights sat outside in the run but that's where they choose to be. They have 24/7 access to the shed and the run. As long as they have somewhere warm and dry to retreat to, I'd let them sit/lay wherever they want - even if it appears cold and uncomfortable to us.

yes ungrateful little so an sos :lol: my 4 spent last winter sat in their avairy on a concrete floor when they had a nice warm shed full of fleece blankets, hay and straw to go in and they were fine. Dont worry!

Thanks all ,the bed they have is a plastic dog bed with loads of hay in ,last year i bought wooden dog kennels to fill with hay but they just sat on top:roll:,pea and pod pushing all the hay out made me giggle :lol:

Thanks all ,the bed they have is a plastic dog bed with loads of hay in ,last year i bought wooden dog kennels to fill with hay but they just sat on top:roll:,pea and pod pushing all the hay out made me giggle :lol:

I wasn't giggling when I had to get out in the run and collect up all the straw :roll::lol::lol:.

Glad other people have this issue. When ours are outdoors they always choose to be on the concrete slabs of the run part rather than up the ramp with all the shavings and hay and straw. At first I thought maybe they didn't like the ramp, but they use one of the "bedding compartments" as a litter tray, even tho they have one downstairs. I have since moved the tray so all the bedding isn't ruined and the wood doesn't rot.

They do it In the internal hutch too... All the bedding is pushed aside and they sleep on bare plastic.

2 of mine always sit on the lino rather than the hay box or fleeces. :roll:

they know where to go if they do get cold so i wouldn't worry too much.

as an idea i now use a cardboard box with a couple of holes cut in and stuff it with straw.. they all love that! :roll:

Mine are the same. Have a hutch in their shed. The like to hide under it - very very rarely ever see them inside it. Again, on very cold nights in the winter, they often choose to stay in the run. As long as they've got the option of somewhere warmer, would have thought they'd be ok.

Back