• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Chunk taken from ear :(

tanya_306

Alpha Buck
I went out last night and my husband was incharge of the animals! I left Finley my French Lop running around the house and Emily inside her nic-cube set up, which has a net roof over the top!

While my husband was upstairs he heard a crash and a splosh (bowl of water in Emilys set-up). He ran downstairs to find Finley in Emilys set-up, fur everywhere and the two of them full-on fighting. :(

He grabbed Finley and put him away and while cleaning up Emilys set-up he noticed quite a bit of blood. He discovered that a chunk of her ear had been bitten off. He kept part of it to show me. :roll:

He stopped the bleeding and stayed with her to check she was eating and boucning around ok. She was.

When I got home I weighed her and gave her some Septrin - it was the only medication I had at home. I am guessing she will need both antibiotics and painkiller. Waiting for the vets to open now.

Is there anything I should do to make sure the ear is kept clean?

There is no way the vet will be able to stitich her ear back together, so I was hoping that if I explained the situation to the vets they will let me buy the medications without seeing her. I don't like taking the poor girl to the vets because she has her major op in July and went through alot of treatment. She is happier at home than travelling in her carrier.

Will let you know what the vets say!

Tanya

I managed to get some painkillers and antibiotics from the vet. Emily was a good girl and took it straight from the syringe.

When I rang the vets they asked me if it was 'the Emily'! She is quite famous at the vets after her op in July.

this happened to us. our conti slipped past me without me noticing and next thing a blood curdling scream from rodney. oh looked at him and a big chunk out of his lug hole. he still has a small one now but its healing and getting smaller and smaller. the scabs etc has gone so nto sure if it will completely heal up. it changed his personality and he became very anti social we have just bonded him with a girl but he is still incredibly shy and nervous.

dont worry honey im sure she will be fine. x x

Hope she feels better soon.

It's such a help when they take their medicine without a fight too. Hope she keeps it up.

We had the same with our Daisy a year ago, unfortunately the vet had to cut part of her ear away but the hair has slowly returned and you would never know part of it was missing. Although she is very sensitive in that area now and doesnt like it to be touched.

I was distraught when it happened but it seems lot of people have had the same problems. I hope your bunny gets better soon, Vet trips are the worst I understand why you wanted to avoid it.

Back