• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

grass seed

elis-mum

Mama Doe
i recently doubled the size of the rabbits run by linking 2 together (its now 14ft long!) the only problem was the first half was on concrete slabs and the new part is on grass so i only opened the door to that bit when they were supervised as the girls were digging :roll:

i spent a good part of yesterday putting a wire base into the grassed area so they can now use it anytime. i'm really pleased but wanted to re seed the dug up parts.
before i do this can anyone tell me if grass seed can be harmful to bunnies?

thankyou! :wave:

:wave: still not emailed you, have I?! Sorry!!

Have you made sure the seed doesn't have any fertiliser or anything in?

:wave:

Hiya, I'd like to know this too! As need to returf an area in the buns run.. are you laying soil and then grass seed over your wire? or does the wrie sit on top of the soil? Thanks!

IIt's weird, mine have had a run with no wire bottom for a whole year and have never tried to dig out, yet when they're in the garden loose I'll occasionally find them half undergroudnt hey've dug so much?!!

hi Nicky! :D

not actually got the seed yet but will check before i do. will mail soon.. :wave:

kt6382... its more just to patch the areas they dug at. just seed with a bit of soil over it but i was worried if the buns got to the seed if it would harm them..

i can't turf over the top as for my own sanity i actually lock the rabbits in the shed over night so i need to be able to move the run away from the shed door.
i just put mesh over the grass and tie tagged it to the edges of the run. i was worried Buddy might not go on it but he seems ok with it. :)

/glad he goes on the wire alright coz I'm worried about that with my buns too, worried they'll get their feet stuck on the wire :( did you use chicken wire??

I also want my run to be moveable so can't turf it down, I want my buns to beable to have fresh grass so need to drag ita aorund garden... trying to invent strong enough tunnels to connect it to shed from wherever the run is?!! wel'll see!

hi Nicky! :D

not actually got the seed yet but will check before i do. will mail soon.. :wave:

kt6382... its more just to patch the areas they dug at. just seed with a bit of soil over it but i was worried if the buns got to the seed if it would harm them..

i can't turf over the top as for my own sanity i actually lock the rabbits in the shed over night so i need to be able to move the run away from the shed door.
i just put mesh over the grass and tie tagged it to the edges of the run. i was worried Buddy might not go on it but he seems ok with it. :)

I've just done the same, I was worried about them hurting their feet in the short term, but once the mesh has settled and the grass has recovered I think it will be fine. They don't seem to mind, and they have a few slabs to sit on and constant hutch access if they do want to rest their feet. I was also wondering about grass seed for the spring... I thought about blocking off a few corners but I'm not sure yet..?

Back