• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can someone explain Myxi related

Sparkle x

Wise Old Thumper
Why can vaccinated bunnies still get full blown Myxi? This doesnt seem right, surely were vaccinating to prevent it so why are they getting it full blown? I always understood it as vaccinated rabbits would get the nodular form? Maybe i need more of an understanding.......

Theres so many cases on here at the min, its all very sad :cry:

As I understand it the vaccine is made from a related virus so that's why it doesn't provide full immunity but provides a lot more than not having it. Also if a rabbit is ill when it's given the vaccine it also might not get full immunity as the immune system doesn't react in the same way.

I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of bunnies getting Myxi a week or so after they've been vaccinated. Can the vaccine give a bun Myxi?? It feels like there are so many more cases this year, it's scary :cry:

I've also noticed that there seems to be a lot of bunnies getting Myxi a week or so after they've been vaccinated. Can the vaccine give a bun Myxi??

I would be interested in the answer to this, as my 3 buns are going for their myxi vaccs next week!!

Nope, they can't get myxi from the vaccine. The vaccine doesn't contain the myxi virus but one that is similar - which is one reason it's not as effective as VHD, for example. Most vaccinated rabbits that contact myxi get the nodular form. It is possible for them to get full blown, for example if there was an issue that affected them getting an immune response to the vaccine or just their system was overwhelmed.

What you don't hear about are all the rabbits that are exposed to myxi but don't get it at all because the vaccine completely protected them. That's a very important thing to keep in mind.

Nope, they can't get myxi from the vaccine. The vaccine doesn't contain the myxi virus but one that is similar - which is one reason it's not as effective as VHD, for example. Most vaccinated rabbits that contact myxi get the nodular form. It is possible for them to get full blown, for example if there was an issue that affected them getting an immune response to the vaccine or just their system was overwhelmed.

What you don't hear about are all the rabbits that are exposed to myxi but don't get it at all because the vaccine completely protected them. That's a very important thing to keep in mind.

^^^^^^^^^^ 100% that

Back