• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When can newly spayed bun go back with her group?

DemiS

Warren Veteran
Nami was spayed on Tuesday, the vet said she's fine now to go back on to regular bedding but I forgot to ask about her going back with her group. She seems to be back to herself but I'm wondering if she needs a bit longer to rest before going back with them? Also there's a fairly biggish jump in their hutch (read below if you're interested in explanation). The stitch is tiny compared to others rabbits stitches/spay scars I've seen

The bedroom bit of the hutch is about half of the height of the actual hutch, there's usually a board over so the bedroom area is covered and the rabbits can jump on top like a ledge, but three rabbits make a LOT of mess and the only litter tray that fits covers the door, therefore the roof/ledge had to be taken off and the buns have a little jump over, they are all very fit and able (and two used to do rabbit jumping so are used to much higher anyway) but I'm not sure about the female, she usually springs over like it's nothing but I don't want her putting strain on her stitches

The scar you can see isn't the problem, it's that her internal stiches could come out if she's too active I think.
I'm not sure exactly how long it's meant to be though

Ok, I'll let them in the run together but I think I'll wait a bit longer until I put her back in the hutch. I'd remove the litter tray so they can go in normally but three together make a hell of a lot of mess and it's really hard to get off the bare hutch floor

And thanks guys :D

Re the stitches, they've cut through muscle so it's not just about the areas round the stitches but the wound itself needing to heal fully. I've been given a guide of a fortnight with regard to not stretching the wound too much - ie don't allow jumping and stretching. I've never been in the situation of re-introducing to a bonded group but I think I'd base my decision on how active it would make her being back with the group, ie any dominance humping from any party when she rejoined the group.

(I can't believe you had to talk to yourself for 48 hours :(.. sorry:()

How's she doing? :) Is she back with the boys yet? Also which vet did you see for the check-up? :lol:

She's fine, definately bored by herself though! And I had the same man for the checkup :lol:

Re the stitches, they've cut through muscle so it's not just about the areas round the stitches but the wound itself needing to heal fully. I've been given a guide of a fortnight with regard to not stretching the wound too much - ie don't allow jumping and stretching. I've never been in the situation of re-introducing to a bonded group but I think I'd base my decision on how active it would make her being back with the group, ie any dominance humping from any party when she rejoined the group.

(I can't believe you had to talk to yourself for 48 hours :(.. sorry:()

Ah ok thankyou, I didn't realise about the muscle, she's getting really frustrated by herself in a smaller hutch so I think I'll have to put her back and use a really small litter tray, I know they'll move it though and have covered the hutch floor in poo within an hour but I suppose it's not for long :roll: She is very active now, but yes the two boys do hump her a fair bit (then again she was unspayed before so was probably encouraging it)

And it's ok, it's not an urgent thread, then again I wouldn't put an urgent topic in the health section anyway

Back