• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help - please - crunchie - baby no 2 has myxi now :( :( not looking good :(:(

rabshan

Mama Doe
Help-please - Crunchie-baby no.2 has myxi now (what decision

I'm afraid that the myxi vaccination takes 10 days to start giving protection:( from what you have described i would think that Crunchie has full blown:shock:
I would get him to your vet's ASAP even if they are not that good with rabbits:(let them decide on treatment/PTS:(
How is Crunchies breathing? does he look like his breathing is laboured?
I would be worried about it going to his lungs:( at this stage:(
I really hope that you can make the right decision just sorry that the news is not better:(
One of my friends had to have her rabbit PTS today as he was struck down with myxi:(

his breathing is fine at the moment - he is running around, eating, jumping, pooping fine.
As soon as anything decreases I will re-asses

I never knew it took so long to work :(:(

Jane - I may be able to get some metacam tomorrow - how much do I give?
Will it (in your opinion) help?

The dose range my Vet uses is 0.2mg-0.6mg/kg/24 hours

You'd need to know what strength Metacam you are giving.

The CAT one is 0.5mg Meloxicam (active ingredient)/ml

The DOG one is 1.5mg Meloxicam/ml

As to whether it will help, well it would reduce discomfort from all the inflammation that will be going on and it will control any fever that may develop.

I may be able to get some tomorrow - from someone who is in my town who also has bunnies.

I will see how he is tomorrow/.......Jane.......the eye and genital swelling......would you - in your opinion think that its to far gone to contemplate fighting...I dont want to postpone his life - for me :(

I may be able to get some tomorrow - from someone who is in my town who also has bunnies.

I will see how he is tomorrow/.......Jane.......the eye and genital swelling......would you - in your opinion think that its to far gone to contemplate fighting...I dont want to postpone his life - for me :(

If he has no respiratory symptoms at all and is eating OK and not depressed I would see how he goes throughout tomorrow. I would certainly want him to have some Metacam ASAP.

With Myxi it is usually not the Virus itself that leads to fatalities, but secondary bacterial infection causing pneumonia :cry:

Molly, the first of my buns to catch myxi, had swelling at her nose and at the base of her ear. She fought myxi and won and is still with me now a couple of years later.

Personally, as your bun is still lively and eating, I wouldn't PTS.

Eyes are no more swollen -genitals are little larger *i think* he has just scoffed a banana - slight scuffling from his nose - he is in my arms now - going to a sunday vet at 11:00 - I want to ask for metacam, more baytril - want to give him a chance - the minute he deteriorates or snuffles more.....then I think that will be the end....

What do hyou think Jane?

If it helps, Drusilla is more swollen today and just as snuffly too but still lively and eating well - she' s on baytril and metacam and is doing fine....I wouldn't give up, as long as bun is still eating they have a good chance. :wave:

He's sat on the sofa now - its no warmer inside than outside at the mo
i'm dreading in case the vets say - myxi - pts!

Tinsel is she a little snuffly?

cr.jpg

He's sat on the sofa now - its no warmer inside than outside at the mo
i'm dreading in case the vets say - myxi - pts!

Tinsel is she a little snuffly?

If you don't feel that PTS is the correct thing to do - then you don't have to go with what the vet says.

My vet would have put Molly to sleep - which horrified me as I'd only taken her because of the lump on her nose - she wasn't 'ill' at all. She did become a bit more lethargic later on but never went off her food.

I've changed vet since as I gradually realised that I knew more about rabbits than she did (sadly after Pumpkin went to the Bridge:cry:)

You know your bun - does he want to fight? Has his 'bunniness' gone? It doesn't sound like he has given up from your posts.

I knew all my buns wanted to fight. None of them gave up. I do believe they took strength from each other - I had a bonded group of five and all five had myxi.

It is a cruel, cruel, disease, but it IS possible for buns to recover and go on to lead long, healthy and happy lives. I still have three of the five now and they are living proof of that.

Ok Vet was lovely - he said his kideneys and abdomen , lungs etc were all fine....so were going to fight
he is now indoors - in a crate - I will make this bigger asap
hes on metacam and baytril - eating fine

Ok Vet was lovely - he said his kideneys and abdomen , lungs etc were all fine....so were going to fight
he is now indoors - in a crate - I will make this bigger asap
hes on metacam and baytril - eating fine

I so hope he can get through this. Millions more vibes being sent xx

Sending lots of vibes. So many bunnies with myxi at the moment :cry: Paws crossed for them all xx

Yes she is a bit snuffly and her eyes look like Crunchie's - she is still lively though (yesterday morning she was quiet but not any more)...

Sending mega-vibes for Crunchie....
NB My vet said the secondary infection was the main worry with myxi - if they can get through the first 48 hours and that's being treated with Baytril they're often fine. Scamper didn't even need baytril last year, so fingers crossed...

Back