• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit just ate a plum pit! Eek!

papercutexit

Young Bun
Just an update - it's been 24 hours now and he's still happily munching on his hay, and he got himself a good workout today as well. Soo I guess that means he'll be ok if nothing has happened so far. Phew.

Thanks for your kind words everyone, you're really sweet

AAAAAAAH!

Turned out it was a false alarm! He was just chewing on the plum pit and licking off the remaining flesh on it, he didn't actually manage to chew through it or swallow it! We just found the whole plum pit with bite marks under the sofa, he probably dropped it when he saw me running towards him.

That explains why he didn't seem to be affected by it at all.

Bunny prank... not funny though.

Sorry for the bunny panic - that'll teach me :)

I think it depends really, I think a lot of stuff is listed as toxic because too much of it is bad. Apple seeds are "toxic" say various websites etc, to rabbits and hamsters I've caught my rabbits eating an apple that fell off the tree next door and there was nothing left of it and they were right as rain. My hamster used to always eat my apple cores as I never knew at the time the seeds were toxic. it probably just causes mild tummy ache.

AAAAAAAH!

Turned out it was a false alarm! He was just chewing on the plum pit and licking off the remaining flesh on it, he didn't actually manage to chew through it or swallow it! We just found the whole plum pit with bite marks under the sofa, he probably dropped it when he saw me running towards him.

That explains why he didn't seem to be affected by it at all.

Bunny prank... not funny though.

Sorry for the bunny panic - that'll teach me :)

What a minx! They certainly like to test us don't they :roll: I'm glad he is okay.

The reason I asked about the plum pit being whole or crunched is because the toxin is only in the centre of the pit, he would have to break it up to be harmed by it. If it went through whole he wouldn't be exposed to the toxin, but would need to be checked out anyway in case it got stuck in there somewhere. Meant to put in my original post that if the HRS lists it as toxic I would assume it is badly toxic and see a vet ASAP. I know you did this anyway but worth posting in case a future member turns this up in a search. :)

papercutexit - would you mind editing your first post with an update to say its a false alarm and he didnt actually eat the whole stone? A lot of people find these threads via google or search for a quick answer to questions, and if they dont read on to the next page they may assume from the first page that he was fine from eating a plum stone, and may not consult a vet.

As a side note to anyone reading this, with toxins you also have to take into account the weight of the rabbit, as the bigger the animal, the larger the amount of the toxin they can survive. It's one of the reasons that humans can eat many of the 'poisonous' things without coming to harm, whereas they can kill rabbits, like chocolate.

Meant to put in my original post that if the HRS lists it as toxic I would assume it is badly toxic and see a vet ASAP.

That's what I was wondering - toxic could obviously mean anything, from "could affect health if consumed in large amounts" to "eat a tiny bit and you're dead". But I suppose when in doubt, just err on the side of caution and call your vet...

Nessar, I've updated the first post, thanks for the suggestion :)

Back