• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutered

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
morning everyone i was looking on ebay last night and wanted to know would this be good and if so what would you put on the floor?

KGrHqQOKi4E3OmyNUdBN1SzV8Ig0_3.jpg

That will be fine.

Pop down some fleece blankets, or towels to keep her comfy - although, the bottom of my girls cage is like that and they prefer to sit on it bare - anything I cover it with gets thrown out by them! so maybe cover half of it and leave half so she can decide what she prefers.

I have a small wooden run that I put in the kitchen for mine after neuter or if anyone is poorly. By the time mine were neutered they were well used to coming in to the kitchen for runarounds and treats so I don't think it phased them at all - in fact if they get past me when I open the hutch door they will leg it to the kitchen to see what they are missing!

If you can fit the hutch indoors you could do that, then bun will have her own environment within a warm one.

If you use a crate or run throw a blanket or towel over so it is cosy and feels safe.

Remember when she goes back outside she mustn't have any bedding that will stick or irritate the wound until it is well healed.

I have a small wooden run that I put in the kitchen for mine after neuter or if anyone is poorly. By the time mine were neutered they were well used to coming in to the kitchen for runarounds and treats so I don't think it phased them at all - in fact if they get past me when I open the hutch door they will leg it to the kitchen to see what they are missing!

If you can fit the hutch indoors you could do that, then bun will have her own environment within a warm one.

If you use a crate or run throw a blanket or towel over so it is cosy and feels safe.

Remember when she goes back outside she mustn't have any bedding that will stick or irritate the wound until it is well healed.

this is my first bunny and i didn't know that so thank you for your help x

I disagree with keeping a rabbit inside after neutering.
My vet told me that they should be put back in their own environment as it will help them recover quicker.

I agree with you, last week we had all three girls done and our vet said the same thing. They felt safe being back in their own environment and the only thing that we did differently was that we had to seperate them to ensure they were all feeding and toileting correctly etc. We didn't use any different bedding either, we just made sure they were warm with plenty of straw and covered the hutch and I'm pleased to say they are all well, all wounds have healed beautifully and they are happily all back together again.

I agree with you, last week we had all three girls done and our vet said the same thing. They felt safe being back in their own environment and the only thing that we did differently was that we had to seperate them to ensure they were all feeding and toileting correctly etc. We didn't use any different bedding either, we just made sure they were warm with plenty of straw and covered the hutch and I'm pleased to say they are all well, all wounds have healed beautifully and they are happily all back together again.

Really pleased that your buns recovered well :)

Sadly not all vets are that 'bunny savvy' and some are not aware of some of the finer details of rabbit husbandry. It is a fact, not an opinion that rabbits are unable to regulate their body temperature after a general anaesthetic and so by putting them straight outside with no additional bedding/form of heat etc is risky, particularly in the current temperatures. I agree that being in a different environment may be a little stressful (to some) but with some planning and forethought there are things you can do to minimise this within a controlled environment i.e:

Bring the bun into the post op place(pen) BEFORE the op a few times to get her used to it and to leave her scent there.
Put a soft towel/blanket in the hutch a week before the op and then bring this inside for her to lie on - again familiar smells.
Make sure the area is quiet, out of draughts and strong light.
Cover the top with a sheet.
Stock up with lots of tempting foods & get them eating asap. The sooner they eat & poop, the sooner they can go back to their own place :)

If a bun catches a chill it can go downhill very quickly :( It's a personal choice of course but IMO it's a risk not worth taking.

Which ever you decide to do, I would like to add - that when you return your bunny back outside, you need to consider doing this slowly. If she is used to being indoors for a few days, and yuo put her straight back out when it's cold she may not be able to adjust to the sudden drop in temperature.

If you can keep her in the coolest room in your house and make sure you put her out on a sunny, relatively warm day - her chances of adjusting to the temperature will be much better :)

Back