• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New vaccination - Jacks-Jane maybe?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Why would there be a bigger chance of them getting myxi?

People said earlier that the current vaccine uses a dead virus, whereas the new one uses a live virus. I assume the risk may be bigger that they may contract the virus itself from the vaccine, just as there is a small risk it may happen with some human vaccines. As I said, I hope the vaccine gives better protection, however if it doesnt, and if there is a bigger risk (I guess they are going through this in the testing stage, to make it safer) then I would be happier giving my buns the 3 separate ones, especially Barney, who's immune system is likely compromised by his snuffles and anemia.

Basically I'm gonna wait and see what the benefits and dangers are of the new one, if any, before using it.

Aren't the vaccines MADE from giving rabbits myxi anyway? I'm sure I read a thread on that. So there's suffering no matter which you choose.

Aren't the vaccines MADE from giving rabbits myxi anyway? I'm sure I read a thread on that. So there's suffering no matter which you choose.

I *think* it's the VHD which is made by using something from inflicting VHD on rabbits?

No, the Myxi vaccine is not derived from the Myxoma Virus but from the Shope Fibroma Virus. The efficacy of the Myxi Vaccine relies on a cross over immune response.

Re the VHD Vaccine- this info is taken from the RWAF Site :

'Some rabbit lovers are also concerned by the way VHD vaccines are made. Although synthetic, recombinant vaccines are being developed, the commercially available vaccines in Europe and elsewhere are made from liver extract taken from laboratory rabbits. This may seem terrible, but the sacrifice of one rabbit (which is euthanised before it actually becomes unwell) will protect nearly 6000 others. If Mexico had chosen to vaccinate rather than eradicate, 10 or 11 rabbits would have died to protect the 65,000 who succumbed to VHD and there would have been no need to kill 95, 000 healthy animals.'

Last edited:
Back