• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding a blind/deaf bunny - At home or professional?

nessar

Warren Veteran
Have you read 'Living with a Houserabbit'? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Living-Hous...=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318196651&sr=1-1

It advises a similar bonding process to what you've described, so may be of help. It involves having both buns in the same room in dog crates with free-range time out separately, and slowly moving the crates closer together.

Do be aware though that meetings between bunnies where one or both buns are in anywhere they consider their territory (even a carrier), they may have an aggressive reaction that just wouldnt be there on neutral ground. Rabbits have also been known to attack ears and noses through bars, so you'll have to make sure this is secure.

Is your bun quite confident in larger areas? With Barney, to lower the amount of stress of bonding because of his snuffles, I had short bonding sessions every day in a medium-sized bedroom containing a neutral carrier, a neutral litter tray with hay, lots of noms and apple sticks, a tunnel and a bowl of water. I then upped the amount of time they spent together quite quickly as they were getting along so well, and after around 48 hours straight in there I moved them to a small pen for 36 hours for the more standard bonding, then the same pen in Barney's neutralised territory for a couple of days, till they escaped by accident and I was relieved to find them getting on fine in the non-neutralised part, so I left them to it. Whilst I wouldnt reccommend it for everyone, and I do think the standard bonding methods are tried and tested and proven to work, I think its good when you have a bun that is a bit different, to adapt the bonding to suit them.

Back