• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

I'm really frightened-noisy breathing upper respiratory infection

BorisnHannibal

Young Bun
Sorry to hear about Milly. I hope she gets better.

I'm thinking my Hannibal has something similar. When we bought him he seemed fine but within a few days was sneezing quite badly. We took him to the vets but there was no discharge, and he was eating and drinking fine and he hadn't been sneezing at all when we went to visit him before taking him home. So the vet reckoned it was more than likely a dust allergy or similar. We bought different shavings, hay etc and the problem although not entirely vanishing got a lot better. Now he hardly ever sneezes.

A follow up to the vet and explanation that he'd stopped sneezing so much seemed to back up her thoughts that it was a dust problem. This was when he was around 5months old. However he's now approaching the 7 moth age Mark and there is the tiniest bit of White discharge today... And he has what I believe is called the snuffles, but he's always sounded fairly like that. I was led to believe that snuffles was highly contagious but Boris has never shown any signs of any similar problem. And Hannibal is his usual bright happy self eating and peeing the day away. ( in fact he's just tried to eat my toe for the third time this afternoon) . Anyone got any advice. I'm thinking he needs another trip to the vets tomorrow.

I may be struggling with something similar. Merlin has had a horrible rattle in his breathing when I pick him up although he is eating and acting fairly normally. I took him down to our excellent vet who listened to his heart and lungs and said there was no obvious problem. Merlin, of course, was sitting there perfectly normally and not 'rattling' at all. My vet reckoned that it could easily be a chronic but fairly mild lung infection. He said that, just like people, it can be necessary to keep the bun on antibiotics for months before it clears. Merlin is still on baytril 2 months later and the rattle has mostly gone. If I stop the baytril it comes back within 24 hours. He is now struggling and trying to evade capture when I give him the baytril which is great becasue all buns hate it and I was worried that he was so 'good' about it! Jack-Jane suggested a perfume allergy at one point but it doesn't seem to be that.
So, it may be a matter of long term baytril :( It took Merlin about a month on baytril to stop rattling!

Only just seen this (sorry) and not sure where you are in Lincolnshire - but I have an excellent vet and vet surgeon in Cambridge -

she has dealt with severe URI and teeth problems combined in one of mine (a small plump nethie with horrendous lung scarring before I got her - needs oxygen just to look in her mouth).

She has managed to use both penicillin and other abx to get her well enough to then take teeth out and remove an abscess - I fully recommend.

Also you can always stay with us overnight!!

PM me if thats any help

Back