• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice needed on GI Stasis

clarebasham2208

Warren Scout
Bobak is coming home this afternoon! The vet called to say he's eating by himself so she wants him to come home to fully recover :D

Please have positive vibes for Bobak's return and that he continues to recover :) Thank you :D

Awwwww that's great news

I am sure that he will be so happy to get back home

Sending lots of continued recovery vibes xx

We've got Bobak home now (he's been home for about 7 hours) and he's eating lettuce and parsley but won't touch his pellets or hay and he's not had anything to drink. He's done a few very small poos. The vet has given me fibreplex, gut stimulants and pain killers. Should I be worried that he's only eating veg, and not pooping yet? I know it's only been a few hours but I don't want to wait too long in case it slows down his recovery.

Advice needed on GI Stasis - *concerned, does he needs to go back to vet??*

Hello again everyone,

I'm very concerned as Bobak didn't eat, drink or poo overnight. I tried to tempt him with some parsley (his fav) this morning but he wasn't interested. He still seems quite bright though and is taking all his medication well. Should I take him back to the vet or is the stress of the car journey and not being at home going to make it worse? I feel so helpless! :(

Hello again everyone,

I'm very concerned as Bobak didn't eat, drink or poo overnight. I tried to tempt him with some parsley (his fav) this morning but he wasn't interested. He still seems quite bright though and is taking all his medication well. Should I take him back to the vet or is the stress of the car journey and not being at home going to make it worse? I feel so helpless! :(

I would ring them and see what they think. They may say it might take a bit longer for the drugs to work or they may want him back in.

Hi again,

Just an update on Bobak - I took him back to the vet last night who admitted him overnight for blood tests, antibiotics and monitoring. His temperature had gone up a bit and he'd stopped eating. This morning the vet says he's eaten overnight but she's still waiting for the blood test results. Fingers crossed for a phone call with some good news.

Hi again,

Just an update on Bobak - I took him back to the vet last night who admitted him overnight for blood tests, antibiotics and monitoring. His temperature had gone up a bit and he'd stopped eating. This morning the vet says he's eaten overnight but she's still waiting for the blood test results. Fingers crossed for a phone call with some good news.

Oh dear, I am sorry he deteriorated again. I hope the news is better this afternoon.

The vet doesn't have any news except he's still being syringe fed and refusing to eat. His blood test results were unclear and they're having to seek an expert opinion. I really would like people's opinion on what to do - I've already spent £1000 on vets fees and I'm paying around £250 each day that he stays with the vet. Whilst I want nothing more than him to recover, I simply cannot afford this. The RSPCA have said they cannot help as I'm not benefits. I stupidly didn't buy rabbit insurance when i got Bobak :(

Back