• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

With winter just round the corner ........

Bitzy-B

Mama Doe
I believe i will be bringing Snowy into the shed this year as it is going to be a bad winter. I still cover her hutch up at night, as i do in summer. But it should be much warmer and dry..

Yeah I've heard that its going to be a bad one!! Hope them little bunnies will be ok!! They just never seem to want to stay in their bedroom where is nice and snuggly warm ..... they just want sit out in the aviary every night!!

I made my own hutch cover and insulated board for the front of the hutch last year which seemed to do a good job. I also cover the top of the hutch with an old carpet, then pillow cases filled with straw, then a tarp, which seems to work pretty well for me. Buns also have a snuggle safe and loads of straw in there.

They were fine last winter but if it is going to be worse this year i will have to bring them indoors, which I would prefer not to as the only suitable room is going to be a nursery!!

Ooooh I just don't know yet, but I really do need to decide soon because it's getting pretty chilly. I think I'm going to get a couple of snugglesafes and do what I did last year, just fill the hutches up with hay and cover them over with blankets and tarps/shower curtains at night.

Meh :(

I won't be doing much more than I do normally to be honest. The playhouse is already insulated so all I'll do is put a couple of snugglesafes in there with them. All 4 have recently been bonded together so hopefully they can all snuggle up together if they get chilly.

I am insulating both my playhouses at the moment. I will just make sure there is a lot of straw to snuggle in and make sure run is waterproof.

I put an extra layer of felt on my hutch yesterday.

Did you know you should always remove the old felt before attaching a new piece? If you have one layer over another, it can sweat and cause condensation and eventually rot the roof.

Did you know you should always remove the old felt before attaching a new piece? If you have one layer over another, it can sweat and cause condensation and eventually rot the roof.

Its not a whole piece you see it only covers 3/4 of the roof so i couldn't exactly take the old peice off. Its being re roofed next year with proper new felt.

I've got a 6x8 shed that my tribe are moving into this winter. I've got 150mm space blanket insulation for the roof and walls to make it nice and snug, I've also got a 2Kw electric oil filled radiator so they are going to be nice and warm. All the hutches are getting a spruce up ready for the cold weather. I did have them indoors last winter but since my numbers have increased by 3, I no longer have the room, hence getting the shed set up. ;)

Back