• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

cats and rabbits

Ruthyb

New Kit
I have 5 cats and 4 bunnies,my cat floss "helps" me when I clean the bunnies out,she gets in the hutch and washes all the bunnies,she loves them all,when they come in the house floss runs off if the bunnies try to chase her:lol: My other cats have never showed an interest at all in the bunnies but like us they are all different.x

we have 4 cats now we did have 5 and have never had any issue with the bunnies who were as big as the cats. they lay side by side on the rug. the rabbits are free range outside and neighbours cats also visit never had a problem in 5yrs of bunny ownership. Having said that I wouldnt get a small bunny my current ones are apporx 2k each , anything smaller looks like lunch. My 19yr old cat likes nothing better than drinking from the rabbits bowl and using their litter tray if hers isnt to her exacting standards! My late tommy rabbit had a think for cat biscuits and loved to sleep on the rug with the cats.

I have two cats and a rabbit. The cats used to be scared of Fred but now they touch noses :lol: They're now a happy family hehe.

My rabbit and two cats ignore each other, but if another cat comes into the garden while Larmee is
free ranging, he will chase it of. When I was a child I had a pet rabbit who hated cats. He used to chase our cat and bite his legs.

My rabbits dont mind cats at all, they always want to go to my cat or the cat we get in the garden....but my cat is a wimp and runs away from them :lol:

you have to be very careful as you can never fully trust that one day your cat may decide to chase your rabbit..even in play
The biggest danger is a cat bite as even if the wound is tiny and done in jest..cat carry lots of nasty bacteria in their mouths and it can lead to infection.
We have known of two people who have lost pets rabbits due to a small un noticed cat bite, noticed once swollen and infected but too late to treat:cry:
Cats and rabbits, like dogs and rabbits, should never be left un supervised and any contact restricted

Mrs Bun will tolerate one of my cats in the garden (i have 3) but she chases others out.......
Never had any problems.Even with my tiny bunny,the cats just look and dont do anything.

Cats are predators. Rabbits are prey.

I think someone forgot to tell Betty that she's supposed to be the one getting chased!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P180911_15440002.jpg

i have one rabbit and 4 cats and they had there first meeting, they where chasing each other and im not sure if thats a bad thing or a good thing, it was with our youngiest cat whos 5 months.

Just to add.
Most people on here know you should not keep rabbits and guinea pigs together.
They are a different species, cannot communicate well and one may injure the other.
Yet I find it odd people are saying their cat and rabbit are fine together and are friends :?

I have 3 cats and 3 rabbits and have never had any problems. Never even thought about it before!! - The rabbits are the same size as the cats - dont know if I would trust the cats with smaller rabbits though. Rosie loves going in the rabbits runs with the rabbits and has a sniff around. Jassy is interested in her too and went up to her today and put her head under Rosies chin. Think she wanted Rosie to groom her!! :lol: With 3 cats and a golden retreiver dog we dont seem to get strange cats in our garden anymore. I also keep chickens and the cats and dog arnt bothered by them either. Well, chickens do have a nasty peck!! :lol:

Some live together fine.
Some live together and end up hurting each other.

Cats are predators.
Rabbits are prey.

I stick to my opinion they should not live together.

Disclaimer: whilst i shouldnt need to add this, i will anyway. This is an OPINION and i will stick to it.

I agree with that. I dont think it matters how friendly or soft or well natured an animal is, as graham said cats are predators. Its only take that split second for something to go horribly wrong.

i have 3 buns and 2 cats all buns are house buns they get along fine the cats get chased when we go out buns are in a dogcrate and never left together my cats are old and tollerant but they are cats so for both of there health they are never together without supervisiion when bunnehs are out the cats vanish usually lol

Back