• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Batbunny seems off EDIT: back from vets with a sick bunny, terrified

Zara

Mama Doe
I'm back and terrified :cry: they didn't think it was stasis, he's not bloated, but has lost alot of weight. He started to lose weight very slowly two months ago, I kept feeding him and he still had a great appetite (until yesterday) so I assumed It wasn't serious and would mention it at his injection appointment, which is due. They've told me to syringe feed him and keep him warm tonight, he's going back tomorrow. I still don't know what's wrong with him, they gave him injections and pain relief before I brought him home though. They also found fleas! I thought I'd killed them all off, I treat both rabbits and the cats and thought I'd got the *******, so myxo was mentioned, but he has no strong myxo symptoms.

I am so, so scared, and so angry at myself. I feel like such a careless owner, I should of been able to protect my boy better, if he dies, it'll be all my fault. Mucus is also discharging from his behind, which is what made me rush him to the vets. I'll never forgive myself if he dies, never. Please, I need advice, help anything. Just not a telling off, I know I deserve it, but I can't take it atm

You're not a careless owner, you took him to the vets as soon as you noticed he was ill, so don't be hard on yourself.
Mucus suggests that his guts are inflammed. Did the vet give you any probiotics e.g. fibreplex? What treatment has he had?

You're human and unfortunately being prey animals rabbits are very good at hiding their symptoms. :(

So don't blame yourself! Really hope he'll improve and more importantly - that they'll find what it is that's troubling him. That must always be the worst part of illness - trying to find what it is so you can effectively fight and treat it.

Sending vibes for bun' and hugs for you x

:cry:I don't have any advice but I am sending tons of healing vibes to Batbunny. Please do not beat yourself up, you need to be strong and calm for your bunny boy. You did the right thing by getting him to the vet as soon as possible and getting him the care he needed. I do hope you have good news at the vet tomorrow.

Thankyou, I suppose we all feel guilty concenring our animals, afterall ,we assign ourselves as their protectors. Theory did give him treatments and injections in the vet room whilst I waited in the reception, I was so panicky and worried and trying to keep calm I didn't ask exactly what he was given, but he's perked up a little and has managed to drink some water without a syringe and has nibbled on some rocket leaves. I've syringe fed him a liquid food substitute as instructed and am keeping him warm and comfy. I have complete faith in my vets, they've always been brilliant and have never ever let me down. The hardest part will be taking him back tomorrow and leaving him there, they're wanting to keep him in :cry: Then I'm coming back to the house, and blitzing the place! NO. MORE. FLEAS. The cat keeps getting them, we flea treat the animals, a few months later, fleas again. NO MORE :evil:

I'm so glad he's managed to drink and eat a little though, better than nothing. I'll stay with him all night, or take turns with my partner when he's home. Rascal is panicking, he hates being separated from Bats but I've been ordered rightly to keep them apart tonight. Also a good sign, he has no signs of myxo. No inflamations, no bumps, his privates and ears and head is normal etc.

Last edited:
Hope he has a good night and is perked up by morning. As a thought, has pinworms been ruled out? I know when Sprocket was younger he had jelly like poops at one point and then a while later we discovered pinworms in his poo. I'm not sure the two incidents were related but it might be worth checking as that may explain the weight loss.

That'sa good thought, thanks, I'll look and mention it to the vets.

He's finally pooped, and his droppings are COVERED in white mucus :cry:

well it's a start at least. We also cut out everything except hay for several weeks and that got Sprocket back on track and he has been fine since.:thumb:

Back