• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is 16 weeks too young?

Thunders_Mum

Mama Doe
Make sure your vet is good with rabbits, before you allow them to do an operation. I would expect a good vet to check the sex of the bunny and do a proper health check before they give the first vaccinations.

Also, if you get fed up with washing vet bed, use newspaper, straw and hay in the litter tray. Bunnies don't need cuddly blankets and vet bed, unless they have some health issues. My bunnies all hate vet bed and just throw it around. They all prefer to sit on a cool hard surface. Maybe vet bed makes them feel too warm, I don't know. But I have given up using it, as it's a waste of energy, water and washing powder. And it killed some people's washing machines.

The vet bed came free with the dog crate on ebay. The bun has a litter tray in there with newspaper and hay, but since hitting the hormonal stage is just peeing and pooing everywhere. Also Im not sure about my vets, I emailed them and they said they spay/neuter from 16 weeks so said my bun is plenty old enough and when I questioned a spay at 6 months she got a bit funny saying no they can be done from 16 weeks. She reckons they get checked over on the day of the op :? Im at a loss with vets round here, I thought that vets was good when I went, but now Im not so sure. They seemed rabbit savvy and even have seperate wards for buns, maybe it was just the receptionist? Theres another vets right near me, but its dreadful, so theres noway I would go back there again.

Maybe someone who lives in the Lincoln area could recommend a vet to you? Some vets neuter female rabbits when they are about 4 months old, it depends on the weight of the bunny and the general health. Some get hormonal earlier than others. Boy bunnies can be neutered from 12 weeks onwards. It's recommended to get them done as soon as their plums have dropped.

I just think that when you get the bunnies vaccinated, the vet usually writes the details onto the vaccination card, and they should check whether the bunny is male or female, as a lot of owners trust the pet shop. When they gave the Myxo jab, did they inject some of it into the base of the ears or everything in one place on the back? And what is the exact name of the VHD jab they use? There are 3 different ones now, and some seem to have fewer side effects than others. A good rabbit savvy vet would know about this. The first vet we went to when I got my first bunny over here, had no clue at all, and she didn't like it that I asked questions. Luckily ARC have a group of really good vets, so I am always using them now, even if it means having to travel a bit further.

The spraying and pooing is quite normal at that age. I would put some cardboard panels around the back and sides of the dog crate, so that you don't get some interesting art work on your walls and furniture. Once he's neutered, he'll calm down within a couple of weeks. :)

Last edited:
Back