• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dogs and rabbits.... advice and opinions welcome!

Minimallow

Wise Old Thumper
Hiya :wave:

I have Penny a Xwhippet/lurcher type who is fine with all of my other animals. We got her when she was one year old and right from the start she was basically taught that trying to worry any of the animals was not on. Barney is springer spaniel and was 7 years old when we got him and had been encouraged to chase rabbits. He used to shake and salivate in such excitement to get near them. WE just trained him in what was acceptable and what wasn't and now he's totallly desensitised to them and pays no attention to them so yes it is totally possible.:)

Thank you both for your advice and encouragement. xx

Stator - I tend to disagree. If anyone had had a bad experience I'm fairly sure they'd be telling everyone about it. Certainly; on the rat forum I use I have read of several sad incidents of rats attacking and killing other pets - including chinchillas and hamsters. They just wanted other people to learn from their sad experiences.

I think as long as you're sensible about it & take all the necessary precautions (and Hanlou it sounds as though you will) then there is no reason why you can't have a dog and rabbits in the same household.

If anybody has had a bad experience then I'm sure Hanlou, and many others, would want to hear about it and learn from it. Criticising the idea with no evidence to back up what's being said though, isn't really constructive.

Back