• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

No toys, no treats!

Britannia

Warren Scout
No I'm not being mean - she just doesn't want them.

I've adopted a rescue bunny - a sort of mini lop, about 16 weeks old, I've only had her a week so I realise its early days.

I went slightly mad with the commercial toys; you name it we got it. But my Kizzy just isn't interested. The only things she likes are her pop up tunnels which she uses all the time - sometimes at incredible speed - and her hay tunnel which she loves to chew on. I've made her toys from cardboard toilet rolls stuff with hay, apple twigs and the odd herb leaf. She eats the hay and whatever else I've put in but leaves the cardboard tube.

I give her a varied diet; usually I fill a cardboard box with hay, scatter a few pellets and fresh herbs and veggies in and give it a good mix so she can forage to her hearts content during the day. Of an evening her food is in bowls. She will also eat from my hand if she's in the mood.

But unfortunately she doesn't like banana, melon, mango, raspberry, blackberry, blueberry, plum or tomato even if I put any in a bowl with other herbs and veggies she just leaves them and eats the non-treat stuff. I've been trying a different treats each morning and afternoon, in desperation I've even tried the commercial type treats but Kizzy just isn't interested. She will eat a little bit of strawberry, but she’s really not anymore impressed by them than anything else.

She seems quite happy, even treats us to a quick grooming session of an evening. (She seems to particularly like grooming my other half's hairy legs, it's great fun watching him squirm as he tries desperately not to make any jerky movements that might scare her even though he's got a rabbit nose pushing it’s way up the inside of his trouser leg).

Finally my question – how on earth do I train her if I can’t find any way to reward her. I‘m not worried about having her do any clever tricks as long as she’s happy then that’s fine with me. However for safety’s sake getting her to come when she’s called would be useful, plus I can’t give her free run of the garden unless I can call her back to a safe area when I have only limited time to supervise.

Any ideas?

I wouldn't worry too much, some bunnies are just fussy. I never feed mine fruit apart from the odd apple as although mine will eat anything I don't see the point in feeding high sugar foods when they get just as much enjoyment from their herbs and greens.

Instead of scattering her pellets you could use those as her reward.

Hello,

I'd say don't worry about the treats if you don't need them - you shouldn't offer too much fruit as it's very high in natural sugars which aren't good for bunnies.

Have you tried fresh herbs like rosemary, mint, basil, parsley, coriander, dill and fenugreek - my bunnies love this. Alternatively only feed her her biscuits when she comes to you - as my bunnies love their biscuits so it would be a good way for her to learn her name.

Hope this helps,

Sherlock.

My two don't bother about toys at all, so i just gave up trying with them, saves me pennies :)

Back