• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long between GA for Dorothy's Spay

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Gave Dorothy her anti biotics and painkiller tonight when i got home and had quick look while i cuddled her, after seeing her constantly lick her leg i got a collar ready from mum (who has cats) she said cut it down and put it on cause thats all the vets will do and charge you a fortune for one, but after looking at it its starting to scab which is great i think as this means its not constantly wet from her licking:? so i guess its healing nicely but slowly i feel positive she seems to limp a touch buy not suprising its in awkward place bless her, well i was wondering whether to scrap her spay altogether and just try to bond her with Toto i didnt want put her through another GA but she cant stay cooped up in the make shift dog crate much longer either it was only a temp space for her i have now placed it inside the wendy house and let them access diff parts of the run so they can see each other and smell but cant actually get to each other but i feel awful penning her she had anough of that previously when bred with:censored: anyway how long shall i let her recover from this op before attempting to get her spayed again? should i be leaving it months will her body take the GA so soon, i need to fatten her up a bit any ideas to fatten her up a bit too thanks folks your all a godsend to me at the mo with all this:wave: sorry for typos i am rushing this as kids keep waking lol x

Why did she have a GA? Did the vet say to use a collar? Collars should only be used if absolutely necessary as rabbits need to be able to eat their cecal poos straight from their bum. If you use a collar you need to feed her these.

Definitely give her a while to get over it before having her spayed. :) best to consult with your vet about it. :)

You definitely don't want to rush her spay, but if she's hormonal this could make bonding difficult. I've no experience of bonding, but as it can be stressful for buns (and owners) I would want Dorothy to be as fully fit as possible before beginning.

Back