• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

most expensive treatments?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
hiya all following on from my petplan question i was just wondering and pondering over this cost the complete plan for my 4 buns would be £35 a month thats apparently with discounts:shock: anyway i ws going to transfer £40 a month into a bank account well £10 per week anyway to cover for jabs, upcoming spays, etc but i also think the excess of these policies of £50 a pop per rabbit is steep so i was just wondering? in the past i have had to pay a £100 vet bill for Toto when he was suffering with either stasis or bloat, now Dorothy has cost us £78 for this op on her leg what have been your most expensive trips to the vets and have you found insurance beneficial? i was told that Dorothy would be covered if any further treatment was required for her leg luckily so that is a positive but still need to keep a pot for spays and vaccs so its so tough to make a decision on this one i can just about afford the odd £60 ish bill if its not very often but worry with 4 buns am i going to be seeing more of the vets?

If I just had 2 Rabbits I would DEFINITELY have them insured. An out-of-hours illness, eg on a Sunday, could cost you £100+ just for the consult then there'd be treatment on top of that.

So my advice would be to Insure if you can.

Grim's dentals are about £100 - £150 but most insurance doesn't cover dentals. Everything else is probably around the £40 mark. £25 for a consultation and then drugs etc. I personally don't rate insurance. I put £65 a month onto my credit card which I'm paying off and then use it for vet bills if I need. However I can imagine if you had a rabbit with stomach issues or something more complicated and needed referrals the cost could go up quite considerably. In that case I'd probably wish i had insurance.

Grim's dentals are about £100 - £150 but most insurance doesn't cover dentals. Everything else is probably around the £40 mark. £25 for a consultation and then drugs etc. I personally don't rate insurance. I put £65 a month onto my credit card which I'm paying off and then use it for vet bills if I need. However I can imagine if you had a rabbit with stomach issues or something more complicated and needed referrals the cost could go up quite considerably. In that case I'd probably wish i had insurance.

thats what is swaying me towards insurance pet plan covers dentals, complimentary treatment, boarding, life cover just hubby is saying we should just deal with the problems when they arise as we cany afford another Direct debit but i am puttin aside a tenner a week and have said no more take aways its the bunny fund:lol: will take a while for that to build up though! there are pros and cons just gotta hope that we dont have any buns that require dentals i guess or out of ours treatment but ya can never say that wont happen can you :roll::wave:

My biggest cost was £300+ for Mini when she dislocated her hip. £50 for the xray and £250 for the operation. I know that some people on here have had much higher bills than that though.

When one of my bridge bunnies was dying it was over £500 in the months prior - I wasn't insured then. The last two none regular visits were £80 and £100.

Back