• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will my rabbits dig out?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
Im moving my hutch and run!

They are moving to the top of the garden as dad wants the patio 'back'. At the moment its bare earth, should i leave it, lay paving, woodchip (bark). They are mini rex and one has just developed mild sore hocks. im worried about them digging out.

Well yes, they will dig out, but more importantly, things can dig in.

Dig out a flat area, ~10 inches deep. lay mesh. then refill over the top. Make sure the mesh is larger than the run area by ~1 ft each way, then its harder for something to 'dig in' or somebun to 'dig out'.

OK.

I was thinking of woodchip, is this ok?

You've done this thread before, no it's not ideal Dan, the ideal is wire with turf over the top. Either way the crucial thing is the wire to stop them digging out and as Graham said things digging in. Turf is really cheap and you can get bargains if you get them at the end of the weekend, in fact Wickes give them away if they don't sell, it save them disposing of them. Worth asking around. Most woodchip is treated wood, ornamental bark etc is treated, I wouldn't use it.

You've done this thread before, no it's not ideal Dan, the ideal is wire with turf over the top. Either way the crucial thing is the wire to stop them digging out and as Graham said things digging in. Turf is really cheap and you can get bargains if you get them at the end of the weekend, in fact Wickes give them away if they don't sell, it save them disposing of them. Worth asking around. Most woodchip is treated wood, ornamental bark etc is treated, I wouldn't use it.

When have i dont this before???

Do you just go and ask them?

When have i dont this before???

Do you just go and ask them?

I'm sure I've commented on one of yours before regarding this same subject, maybe not and I'm getting mixed up, yes just go and ask a staff member when the turf gets delivered, then go back and see how it's selling, so if it comes in on Friday and by Sunday they have 20 rolls left it will either be a £1.00 a roll or free, my husband got about 10 rolls for nothing, as long as you have a hose it will come back with lots of watering.

I'm sure I've commented on one of yours before regarding this same subject, maybe not and I'm getting mixed up, yes just go and ask a staff member when the turf gets delivered, then go back and see how it's selling, so if it comes in on Friday and by Sunday they have 20 rolls left it will either be a £1.00 a roll or free, my husband got about 10 rolls for nothing, as long as you have a hose it will come back with lots of watering.

i dont have a hose.

i dont have a hose.

well it depends how dead the turf is then, I don't have an outside tap but have a couple of hoses so I was doing watering cans and it's a real pain, you need to be prepared to soak each length of turf every night till it recovers, although if you can get it on a wet weekend it will be healthier, ours was turning a bit yellow as it had been left rolled and stacked in full sun! :roll: Can't complain though got it for nothing, I also got some at a garden centre for £1 a roll and that was really good condition. Shop around. Even full price it's only £3-£4 for a 6ft by 2-3ft length so not extortionate.

You could also potentially buy some paving slabs (think you can buy them invividually in places like homebase?) to create a large enough area to place the hutch/run ontop of, as long as they were laid together with no gaps on an area of level ground you would probably not need to cement them. though i don't know a thing about paving :lol:
I think the wire idea is more foolproof, you could always do both in fact, wire then paving slabs.

Not sure if its just me, but your attitude to the answers your getting here seems very defeatist.

You can read the forum and have done, i've seen you replying.

You've got the answers from people who do the same thing you are looking at doing, but you don't like those answers.

The answer, is mesh under the run and lay turf over it (as suggested by myself and Vicki :)wave:)) or to purchase some slabs and lay them and place the run on that as suggested by CrazyGal330.

Back