• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cookie is not well...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Not sure what has happened but she ate her dinner at 6.20pm no problem, but I have just been up in their room with her for around 30 mins and she is huddled up, cant get comfortable, is not eating and generally looks upset. She did a big tummy press a few mins ago as well.
We have Ketofen and Metaclopramide at home, should we administer this now or wait and see for a little while.

I wouldn't suggest administering anything prescribed by a vet, unless you have the vets advice to do so.

I hope she perks up soon.

Not sure what has happened but she ate her dinner at 6.20pm no problem, but I have just been up in their room with her for around 30 mins and she is huddled up, cant get comfortable, is not eating and generally looks upset. She did a big tummy press a few mins ago as well.
We have Ketofen and Metaclopramide at home, should we administer this now or wait and see for a little while.

We cant advise you about administering prescription only meds, only your Vet can do that. Also, before administering metoclop' it is important to be sure that there is no GI obstruction

I hope Cookie feels better soon.

I wouldn't suggest administering anything prescribed by a vet, unless you have the vets advice to do so.

I hope she perks up soon.

The vet has given us the meds so that we can administer them at home when need be, due to our two being so prone to statis and how stressed they get travelling.

I'd tempt her with food, greens, dandelions, and try and get some oral fluids into her (boiled water or herbal tea). If you have permission from your vet to give the pain relief you have there then do so, a tummy rub, and a warmed heat pad should help also. I'd see if you can get her to hop around a bit as well... get things moving.

If no improvement in an hour i'd get her to a vet pronto.

The vet has given us the meds so that we can administer them at home when need be, due to our two being so prone to statis and how stressed they get travelling.

Then you need to use them under the guidance your vet gave for when to use them :) (It's very handy to have a vet trust you like that isn't it). If you're not entirely sure, then call the emergency vet and ask :)

I called the emergency vets and they could not advise giving the Metaclopramide without seeing her (obviously) but said it was up to us as they 'probably' would give it to her as she is not eating but the only real way to diagnose a gi impaction would be through xrays.
She said that their is the potential risk of her gut rupturing if there is a blockage and we administer the metaloprimide.
We have given her the Ketofen and some Infacol, she was so stressed we were not able to give anything else.

Now, if we do need to take her to the vets then do we take Jimby as well? He gets so stressed by travelling but is it doing more harm than good not taking him as he will wonder where Cookie has gone and she will come back smelling different, could he then reject her?

Now, if we do need to take her to the vets then do we take Jimby as well? He gets so stressed by travelling but is it doing more harm than good not taking him as he will wonder where Cookie has gone and she will come back smelling different, could he then reject her?

Depending on the bunnies, if it's just a trip there and back, then you would be weighing up a different issue from if she might be admitted. It depends on the strength of their bond and how fragile Jimby is with his smell and he you think he will react if she comes back smelling different.

Tough call. I've done both, depending on the bunnies involved.

i would take them together its stressful but they comfort each other dont they, i hope its nothing serious hun have you tried the peppermint tea syringe fed? we had all this with Toto two weeks after we brought him home, i used infacol and meds from vets though, i hope you can get things moving asap positive vibes x

As we have never seperated them, it may cause more harm doing so, we are thinking the following:

Take them both together- but this could possibly upset Jimby and cause him to go off his food as he travels so bad.

Take Cookie on her own- Jimby may wonder where she has gone and get stressed out, Cookie will also wonder why she has been taken away from him and why she is going to a scary place alone.

Dont know what to do? :(

As we have never seperated them, it may cause more harm doing so, we are thinking the following:

Take them both together- but this could possibly upset Jimby and cause him to go off his food as he travels so bad.

Take Cookie on her own- Jimby may wonder where she has gone and get stressed out, Cookie will also wonder why she has been taken away from him and why she is going to a scary place alone.

Dont know what to do? :(

Hi Rachylou, I am going through this now aswell, i had to take Ness to the vet tonight, she was a bit off today and I've been monitoring her, she sort of perked up but hadn't really seen her eat much other than a tiny bit of hay this morning although she did drink a little she was tummy pressing, so she's had metoclop, pain relief and sub cut fluids but is still very lethargic, not happy won't be tempted, I'm wondering if it's tiredness as we had really heavy rain last night and I'm kind of hoping after a good nights sleep she'll perk up, she is drinkingthough which is something, but I took her on her own and they were fine he ran over and started grooming her. Fingers crossed for us both.

Hi Rachylou, I am going through this now aswell, i had to take Ness to the vet tonight, she was a bit off today and I've been monitoring her, she sort of perked up but hadn't really seen her eat much other than a tiny bit of hay this morning although she did drink a little she was tummy pressing, so she's had metoclop, pain relief and sub cut fluids but is still very lethargic, not happy won't be tempted, I'm wondering if it's tiredness as we had really heavy rain last night and I'm kind of hoping after a good nights sleep she'll perk up, she is drinkingthough which is something, but I took her on her own and they were fine he ran over and started grooming her. Fingers crossed for us both.

hi hun, how long has Ness been bonded for?

hi hun, how long has Ness been bonded for?

They've been together at least a year I think, give or take a month or so, I' never take two in one carrier, mind you my vets is 5 mins down the road and I'm there and back within half hour most times, Jingle was in the shed so I put Ness in the run (to see if she'd eat grass and move around) and got him to come out the cat flap, they were fine, I've never had any problems with either pair.

Just got back from the emergency vets.
They gave her sub q fluids, metacloprimide and some syring feed.
We are to syring feed every 3 hours.
My poor little girl! :cry:
How are things your end Vicki?

Back