• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Plantain - problems sourcing it.

Im struggling to get hold of it now, and im running really low.

Skyes very fussy with her veg, she will only eat herbs, kale, carrot and fruit so ive been foraging and drying foods to give her more variety (obviously i cant always feed her carrot, cale and fruit), but now im running low.

Is there any other way i get get hold of it, the bags that burns/excel sell just arent big enough.

My parents dont want me to grow dandelions or plantain because they will end up growing all over her garden.

Plus it takes an age to grow or sometimes it won't grow in pots :roll:. I tried for my tortoises. I'd rather go pick it wild over growing it myself.

Helen xx

Look for places near water i.e. canal tow paths, footpaths along side reservoirs or lakes, wood land area. Plantain always seems to grow best there :wave:

You won't get much in woods - a grassy lane/bridleway, & as said before canal towpaths, farm gateways are good places. They're easy to see just now, especially on horse back, with the "rat's tail" seed heads.

They like shortish grass, good sunlight for part of the day, & plenty of moisture. We have some single track lanes leading to a couple of farms. I get some of them from the verges cos I need so much :oops:.

You won't get much in woods - a grassy lane/bridleway, & as said before canal towpaths, farm gateways are good places. They're easy to see just now, especially on horse back, with the "rat's tail" seed heads.

They like shortish grass, good sunlight for part of the day, & plenty of moisture. We have some single track lanes leading to a couple of farms. I get some of them from the verges cos I need so much :oops:.

There are a few ponds along the edge of the woods where we ride, which is where i usually go, but i have to drive there and i cant go very often.

Its really difficult to find even enough to last a few days where i live. :roll:

Back