• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

petplan?

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
hiya all just wondering about petplan does it cover spays/neutering, jabs

is it worth me paying out £8.91 per bun i just did quick online quote for Toto they want £8.91 just for him and i have 3 other buns will this cover allow any extra treatment for Dorothy with her op on her leg she just had that cost me £78, i worry i will need extra visits with this i also worry what it covers or should i just set aside £40 a month? i would paying approx that for 4 buns anyway wouldnt i?

thread moved from wrong place earlier sorry lol

Insurance does not cover neutering or vaccinations.

There is an excess for each condition, and it will not cover any preexisting condition.

If you would struggle to pay for a large vet bill (out of hours vet can cost £120 plus treatment) then you should think about having insurance.

Also I don't think it always covers dentals, as far as I know some do and some don't.

I would imagine it would only cover complications after spaying/neutering, not the spay/neuter itself as that is, in fact, optional.

Insurance wont include any routine treatments like vaccs, neutering and the burring of teeth and in fact you need to have the vaccinations and a dental examination done yearly or you invalidate the insurance.

However petplan will sometimes pay out for a dental (but not the burring/rasping costs) if it needs to be done because of an illness and is a one-off. Same with Pets at Home insurance.

No insurance will cover preexisting conditions, although petplan will sometimes (depends on the illness) only exclude the pre-existing condition for a certain period of time if it does not reoccur in that time, say for a year, so its worth talking to them about it.

The way I look at it is, can I afford to spend £2000 on vets bills in a short period of time, say a month or two? Nope - then I need insurance. I know its unlikely to happen, but if it did, I dont think I could live with myself if I had to put my bunnies down when I could have saved them.

But when you have many bunnies, it can work out better financially to not have insurance. In this case its probably better to get them insured and save a little extra each month, until you have a good amount as a security cushion, then if you like you could cancel.

Back