• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Longterm High-dose Metacam

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Wondering about opinions on this as I'm a bit concerned. Rhia cannot do without a high-dose of metacam, but long term surely this isn't ideal? She is on Zantac alongside but to be honest even when she wasnt/when we ran out, it made no difference. Im more worried about internal organs etc - What is the alternative? :?

ETA I know some buns are on metacam for life, but Im talking a considerable dosage. We cannot lower it further as she cant cope without it.

I don't know what is considered a high dose. When Buttercup had EC she was on metacam for approx 5 months but the dose was reduced gradually and altered as and when she made imporovements.

Currently Squirrel our handsome boy rex is on a daily dose of metacam as he had a lump in his dewlap taken out and then the op caused two more lumps to appear - he could be operated on again but our very rabbit savvy vet suggested metacam for a considerable period first as the alternative would mean he would be stitched up differently and would need drains etc put into the wound.

I questioned the use of long term metacam and the vet said that there is no research evidence of there being any problem using metacam in buns. Saying that another vet local to me won't use metacam for rabbits at all!

I guess the best option would be not to use any medication long term and in high dose but another question to ask would be what is the alternative.

Someone on here will be able to give a much more informed answer but I hope this helps you accept that you are doing the best you can in the situation you are in xx

It's about the benfits outweighing the risks IMO. If high dose NSAID's which ultimately eventually put bunny at risk of renal/hepatic toxicity/failure give said bunny a more comfortable existence and better quality of life then for me this far outweighs the negative risks of shortening life expectancy. Quality over quantity for me everytime. :love:

My bunny was on high daily NSAID's for a year... he died of unrelated causes.... without this medication he would have been in severe pain, disabled and would have died from pain related bloat/stasis.

It's about the benfits outweighing the risks IMO. If high dose NSAID's which ultimately eventually put bunny at risk of renal/hepatic toxicity/failure give said bunny a more comfortable existence and better quality of life then for me this far outweighs the negative risks of shortening life expectancy. Quality over quantity for me everytime. :love:

My bunny was on high daily NSAID's for a year... he died of unrelated causes.... without this medication he would have been in severe pain, disabled and would have died from pain related bloat/stasis.

:love: :thumb:

Ginger's on 'moderate' metacam (1.6ml daily) and has been now (from 0.6ml) for over 6 months.

She will probably be on it for the rest of her life, as her mouth is a mess of teeth, and she actually have renal issues already (her kidneys don't work properly anyway) but without it, she would not be comfortable.

Quality over quantity the whole way (of life, that is).

Yes, it may do damage inside, but if your bunny needs it, your bunny needs it. Wish is on Metacam twice daily, will be for ever, has been for over a year already. If it gets her organs then it 'won't matter' because it served its purpose for her many times over by giving her a quality of life.

Badger was on oral steroids which eventually sent him into liver failure, but would I change what we did? Absolutely not, because they gave him many more months of happiness that he would not have had, had he not had the steroids.

I'm in agreement with the others about the importance of a pain free life.
Also, Buns get gut stasis so easily when they are in pain.

My bun weighs 3 kilo & is on 1.1ml dog metacam x 2 daily but I reduce it to x1 daily when his gut is behaving itself, & can often reduce to 0.9 ml x2 daily.
The main risk factor for kidney failure is dehydration, which my bun is prone to.
I take that risk because it's such a joy to see him running around again & his gut problems are much easier to handle.

What painful illness does your bun have?

agree with everyone else. if the bunny needs it to be comfortable then there isn't much else you can do. bisc and matt have been on metacam for two years ish.. can't remember exactly. i was so worried aswell at first and occasionally when they're doing well i lower the dose slightly but not by much as they can't do without it. :)

bisc has 0.5-0.7ml twice a day and matt 0.6-0.8ml twice a day, depending on how bad they need it at the time. :wave:

Back