• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mild sore hocks

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
Ive just noticed that Rudolph has got a slight sore hock, It is pink and had a small scab. He is a mini rex and is 1 year old. He has Lino on the floor of his hutch. He has only been on lino for a week or so,could this be the cause? He is fit and is in good health, his brother has no signs of sore hocks at all. what should i do?

oh and he has a door mat in his hutch, ive just taken it out as the material is quite rough so this could be the cause.

You could put a bit of Sudocrem on it to help it heal. Also I'd suggest putting blankets/vetbed or similar on top of the lino so it's more padded for him. Either that or a thick layer of hay.

Hmm may be the sudden change of flooring, maybe his skin needs to get used to it? Oberon has sore hocks (he is also a mini rex) - well they are red with white, hard skin/scabs on which don't cause him any pain.
I think thats the key, keep an eye on them, if they are not getting worse or causing him discomfort he should be fine. For now I don't treat Obie's hocks, even vets have said do nothing for now.
Are they outside buns? If they are litter trained how about getting some cheap fleece blankets and attaching them to the lino?

Hmm may be the sudden change of flooring, maybe his skin needs to get used to it? Oberon has sore hocks (he is also a mini rex) - well they are red with white, hard skin/scabs on which don't cause him any pain.
I think thats the key, keep an eye on them, if they are not getting worse or causing him discomfort he should be fine. For now I don't treat Obie's hocks, even vets have said do nothing for now.
Are they outside buns? If they are litter trained how about getting some cheap fleece blankets and attaching them to the lino?

Yes outside in hutch and they are litter trained:)

Yes outside in hutch and they are litter trained:)

:wave: Dan the lino will be the cause, you need to have as close to turf for him, I have a thick layer of hay ie, at least 3 inches thick so the paw sits in the correct position, the worst thing you can do is apply any sort of cream to the area at the moment, it will do nothing but soften the skin, keep it moist and flatten the surrounding fur, leave it alone and soften the area he is on with hay or vet bed, hay is preferable. If you leave it and don't address the surface area it will get worse and can become nasty, I don't know where sudocream on hocks has come from it's not a good idea to apply anything to any area on a rabbit where they can ingest the substance.

Back