• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My rabbits teeth are brown/black at the tips?

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
Here is a pic

rabbitteeth.jpg

Both of their teeth are the same.

(the brown on my fingers is hutch stain BTW)

The brown on their teeth is also hutch stain? Is it safe for rabbits? Did you let them in before it was dry?

The brown is all on his lips too.

Are you sure there is no area they could have reached it? no bits dripped inside that they might have groomed off their feet?

The brown is all on his lips too.

Are you sure there is no area they could have reached it? no bits dripped inside that they might have groomed off their feet?

I did paint the door tops and sides, a bit could have dripped i suppose.

I did paint the door tops and sides, a bit could have dripped i suppose.

You need to be very careful Dan, did you check that the woodstain was pet safe, I 'd be feeding wet herbs immediately and monitoring now for any signs of problems, I hope it was pet safe. How did you notice the teeth, I think you must have noticed them chewing ??? This is seeming a bit strange tbh I don't understand :?

I had noticed it before and said on here when it was lighter brown, but i was told it was ok. But now its got darker. Maybe they are getting too much fruit,

my jeeth are the same at the moment hes had alot of apple i had to cut his apple allowance down,
its worth getting it checked at the vet if i hadnt id have never known about jays dental problems:D

Id inspect the hutch very carefully...are there any chewed area's? Seems abit odd their lips have it on..:?. And you say it happened a hwile ago and now its got darker? They must have access to something thats making it go darker...:?

What make paint did you use?

Id inspect the hutch very carefully...are there any chewed area's? Seems abit odd their lips have it on..:?. And you say it happened a hwile ago and now its got darker? They must have access to something thats making it go darker...:?

What make paint did you use?

Its not on their lips. It looks like it but in really life they arnt,

How much fruit are you feeding, per week?

That looks very much like severe enamel rot like in humans when eating / drinking too many sugarry items.

If it is, it won't ever get better.

I also, as a side note, hope that rabbit is not tranced while you inspect his/her mouth at the time.

How much fruit are you feeding, per week?

That looks very much like severe enamel rot like in humans when eating / drinking too many sugarry items.

If it is, it won't ever get better.

I also, as a side note, hope that rabbit is not tranced while you inspect his/her mouth at the time.

Tranced?????

My mum feeds them about 2 - 3 banana skins (little bit on nana at the bottom) everyday, any apple cores we have etc...

Tranced?????

My mum feeds them about 2 - 3 banana skins (little bit on nana at the bottom) everyday, any apple cores we have etc...

Tranced: Turned upside down, so they dont struggle etc.

You are seriously joking? That is a REDICULOUS amount of fruit per day.

You are going to seriously impact your rabbits health giving them that much fruit.

Please please stop feeding them that much fruit :(

Tranced?????

That sounds like one heck of a lot of fruit :shock: Also apple cores are bad as the pips are toxic

You can just change their diet Dan, cut out the banana skins, they can have a small piece of fruit like abit of apple occasionally, mine get it about twice a week. Replacing the fruit with a little veg will be better, remember rabbits diet should be 90% good hay :) There are lots of treat balls etc that will encourage them to chew and give them pleasure too, willowballs, little wooden rolls with stuff in the middle etc, thats all good for their teeth.

Hi Dan,

Try feeding your bun on herbs (parsely, coriander, rosemary etc) if you are able to get hold of these. Or other veg like kale (in low quantities), spring greens and cabbage. Introduce them slowly so he gets used to the new things without getting an upset tum. I bet he loves fruit (my buns do!), so reserve these for treats, and just give him the tiniest amount very occasionaly. It's sort of like us humans eating sweets when they eat fruit.

Just in case it is the hutch paint as others have suggested, can you perhaps sand down the areas that he has access to, so he can't chew any painted bits (if it's not pet safe paint)? It's not clear exactly what caused the brown teeth - it could be the fruit or it could be the paint - but if you work to fix both of those issues it will be best for your bun.

I always thought fruit was good! I feel terrible now.

I think i will cut it out completely.
I feed the guinea pigs similar amounts of fruit, should i stop that too?

Back