• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Information about steroid injections

nicki

Warren Scout
I have written a similiar post the other day but in the wrong place.

My beautiful bunny Alice had major gastric surgery as a last resort this week after months of chronic pain and recurrent stasis symptoms treated by metaclop, ranatidine, syringe food and a high fibre diet.
It was found that she has a fibrous/thickened stomach outlet leading to narrowing and gut constriction. I have been told that the only possible treatment is steroid injections to reduce the inflammation and there is nothing else they can do for her.

She is recovering quite well from the operation and is bright and active, not showing signs of pain but is only eating a very small amount so far - dandelion leaves and parsley that I have taken in to vet for her. She is with her very close bonded companion Oliver.

I am finding it very hard as she has been at the vet since Monday morning. I know even if she comes home her prognosis is very poor and am worried about Oliver too as he adores her.

Does anyone else have experience of steroid injections and their side effects and any suggestions for diet with narrowing of stomach? She already has lots of hays, greens, probiotic in water, small pellets.

Thank you
Nicki

I'm afraid I've no idea other than steroids can reduce the immune system. But hopefully bumping this someone a bit more experienced will see.

I have already PM'd you some info but just posting on here to bump this thread up incase anyone else is able to provide some input :)

Back