• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm feeling a little unloved!

Grayvey

New Kit
I have a bunny, Grayvey (say gravy) and have had her for six months now. She's about seven moths old, and I got her from a breeder. She's a little grey lionhead.
My problem is that she's rather unfriendly, but not all the time. Sometimes, I will be petting her, and she'll seem to be enjoying it, and suddenly she'll make a nasty growl and lunge for my hand! This has happened a couple of times, she's sweet, then makes a move to bite me! She doesn't really enjoy cuddling either. She's an indoor rabbit and is spoiled with treats and plenty of room to roam, I just want to be able to spoil her with love too.
I have plans to get Grayvey fixed, and hope that will solve some of my problems, but I was hoping that I could get some tips to help make her a little more loving, or some insight on her random outbursts.

Thanks!
-Laura

A lot of that behaviour sounds hormonal and should go with time once she is spayed. The only problem is that it can become learned behaviour so I would suggest getting her spayed sooner rather than later.

she could also be bored. Does she have lots os space toys and hay? Once she s spayed a rabbit friend would help too

Thank you for the advice, and yes, she has plenty of space, toys and hay. I let her run all around my house (But block her off from chords and things) And she loves her silly baby keys.

Is it for the better for her to have a little friend? My last bunny lived alone, but she was my little baby. I just ask because I'm a new college student and trying to care for two bunnies might be out of my financial abilities :(

It is better for them to be in a pair. Even if they have a human around a lot they communicate in very subtle ways that we can't fully understand and certainly can't replicate. :)

An extra rabbit doesn't add much to food bills because they should be eating 80% hay anyway. In summer it costs me £10 a month for food for my four due to buying baled hay and foraging for greens. The main increase is in vets bills, insurance will help with unexpected bills, I personally save a small amount per month as with four it works out better for me. If I had a pair though I would get insurance. Then you have extra vaccinations and a spay. Getting a spayed, vaccinated rabbit from a rescue also helps because usually rescues charge around the £50-60 mark and a spay is about that price alone. Then you only have the extra vaccination bills and any excess for the insurance for illness. :)

As for your original question. It could also be her sight. I have a nethie lionhead cross whose sight is slightly compromised, partly from her breed, partly from a small injury before I got her. I have to be careful how I approach her, otherwise she can't see in this blind spot she has. If she was mine, I would take her for a vet check up and talk to them about spaying too. I have found though, that lionheads are not the most gregarious and outgoing breed. Out of my four there is a big difference in personality from my lops to my lion heads and it took me a long time to gain the trust of my lionheads. :)

It is the right time to be getting her spayed. My lionhead is 14 weeks, she doesn`t lunge or growl (except when I try to check her bum daily, she doesn`t like that) but she isn`t very sociable really. She is also an indoor bun and has plenty of space and loads of toys, ranging from tunnels to chew things. She just does her own thing round the house and comes up to me when she feels like it (usually jumping on the sofa lol) the best thing you can do is just let her get on with it, she must be happy with the amount of space and toys she has. Even though mine isn`t all lovey with me, I know she is happy as she runs around and does binkies all the time :lol:

if I were to get a second rabbit, would it be better to get a male or female? I've heard that two females usually won't get along, and I worry that if I get a male they'll fall in love and want anything to do with me at all...

Also, do the rabbits have to be the same breeds to be companions?

No, lots of people have rabbit pairs of different breeds. :) I don't have personal experience of bonding but have heard that male and female generally works best.

Back