• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Manuka Honey for Sore hocks

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hey

Molly has sore hocks, and she has no obvious infection right now, but I'm looking for a gel/cream to put on her skin to reduce the redness and hopefully make her more comfortable. At the moment, we use Fuciderm gel which works great, and makes her skin a lovely pink colour and really calms the skin down. But can't use it long term because of the steriods in it. Looking for a natural alternative and I remember people raving about manuka honey for sore hocks. How good is it? How long does it take to soak in? How often should you apply? What concentration should you get?

Manuka honey is fab, but it doesn't really 'soak in' as such. If you put it on her hocks then you would maybe have to put a baby sock on for a while.

What about Sudocrem, that is great for sore hocks and not got steroids in.

Manuka honey is fab, but it doesn't really 'soak in' as such. If you put it on her hocks then you would maybe have to put a baby sock on for a while.

What about Sudocrem, that is great for sore hocks and not got steroids in.

we tried sudocrem before and her skin stayed really red.

what about aloe vera gel?

I wouldnt try manuka honey on them, it seems manuka honey is a good natural alternative if the skin is broken etc, we used it with peanut to keep it clean, i dont think it would be as good in Mollys case.

You can buy pure aloe vera from the health food shops, in a huge bottle lasts forever , we used that too and still got some left now from 2 years ago, i even use it myself sometimes!

Heal-X. Have a look at their website. This is a natural cream recommended by my exotic vet - they've had some amazing results treating bumble foot in a zoo he works with. The website also makes claims for treating sore hocks in rabbits. I've been rubbing it into my buns sore hock for about 6 weeks now and it is getting hairier with no further bleeding ( also have her on soft bedding). Her foot is not as good as the one on their website so I'm not 100% about it yet but I do trust my vet and he knows and trusts the guy who is manufacturing this. Be brilliant if it works as sore hocks is generally a chronic condition.

Heal-X. Have a look at their website. This is a natural cream recommended by my exotic vet - they've had some amazing results treating bumble foot in a zoo he works with. The website also makes claims for treating sore hocks in rabbits. I've been rubbing it into my buns sore hock for about 6 weeks now and it is getting hairier with no further bleeding ( also have her on soft bedding). Her foot is not as good as the one on their website so I'm not 100% about it yet but I do trust my vet and he knows and trusts the guy who is manufacturing this. Be brilliant if it works as sore hocks is generally a chronic condition.

I have just ordered this

http://www.mah-shop.co.uk/healxavix-soother-plus-cream-252-p.asp

Thanks so much for the info :)

Back