• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny behind bars!

k8tie

New Kit
Hi there I am a new bunny owner and hoping someone can advise me on how I can stop my bunny from trying to bite through the bars of the stair gate!
I have two 4 month old bunnies that I have only had for about 3 weeks now.

The buck (peter) keeps trying to bite through the metal bars to the stair gate and I am worried he is going to injure / damage his teeth.

The two of them have a cage in the kitchen but are never locked in and have the run of the Kitchen (large kitchen approx 15x8ft) all day and night which is secured by a stair gate to prevent them entering the lounge (which is not currently bunny proofed!).

They have plenty of toy's including wooden toys for chewing, tunnels, balls and cardboard tubes as well as unlimited hey. I originally thought he would get board once he figured out that the bars were impenetrable but he continues to battles with them a daily basis and get's rather angry with them when he doesn't get anywhere.

I have tried 'telling him off' and moving him away but he returns immediately with even more determination and frustration.

I would be grateful for any advice going as I don’t want this behaviour to trigger any dental problems.

Oh by the way, the Doe Thumper will have a go now and again but soon gives up when she isn’t getting anywhere. She seems to have sussed the situation out!

By the sounds of it, neither have been fixed (spayed/neutured)?

My rabbits do it, I have two pairs that live side by side, I think they just know there is more to be seen and want to break free...have to though about putting rabbit friendly wooden poles infront of the metal? Give his teeth a good trim while he's at it? :lol:

Some bunnies do just tend to like chewing bars, they want to be the other side all the time, even if they can get round and the door is open! I guess in the wild if they came across something like that it would be a young sucker off a tree or something to eat.

Anyway, a solution! I've meshed our gates with wire panels, either mesh storage cube panels or panels for a hamster run.

Thanks for the tips.

Peter is yet to be neutered we are just waiting for everything to move into position! Thumper however is spayed, she was done last week.

I think your right Schuette, they do just like chewing bars! He will indeed chew the bars even when the gate is open. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

I have a bit of time today so will try some imaginative engineering with some kitchen roll tubes or some tin foil tubes (if I can figure out what to do with the foil http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/images/smilies/lol.gif).

Thanks again

Back