• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not a happy bunny!

Chesterx123

Young Bun
I have started the bond between Elvis and Indie after asking advice yesterday.
They are currently in the bathroom where neither has been before. We have been here nearly 2 hours and I'm already frustrated. I know its a long process but here is what has happened so far...

Elvis has spent the whole time trying to escape from the room (he's not used to being enclosed to one small area) indie keeps approaching elvis only to get bitten or attacked. This has happened more than 10 times now and she's now scared to go anywhere near him.
I have a water gun to seperate the fights so now all I have is a very wet elvis and a very scared indie!
How long will this go on for.. Is there anyway to tempt them into the next stage of bonding! Its going to be a very long night!

cant offer any advice other than distraction i have not really bonded any properly yet but the first time i tried i gave food it distracted and they ate together but my bond never worked i think because i put a baby in with my bereaved boy she was too young and it was too soon and in wrong environment, i have now a wifey on standby for him good luck its awful to watch i hope things improve for you

I know it's breaking my heart to watch elvis so angry. I haven't seen him like this before. I've read that they will fight at first, I just didn't expect it to be like his. They are both at opposite ends of the room and I don't see how things will improve.
I already have hay scattered over the floor and they are both eating that, just not really near each other!

I know it's breaking my heart to watch elvis so angry. I haven't seen him like this before. I've read that they will fight at first, I just didn't expect it to be like his. They are both at opposite ends of the room and I don't see how things will improve.
I already have hay scattered over the floor and they are both eating that, just not really near each other!

do you have any rescue places near you that you could ask if they could bond for you i am sure if you offer a donation they may as some say rescue places will do it for you, i have none near me but you might search the rescue thread hun and enquire gotta be worth a shot:love:

Unfortunately not, the only ace is the RSPCA and they donti already asked them. This is why we ended up getting her from a breeder. It has been 5 hours now and in the past hour there has been no signs of aggression which obviously must be a goOd sign. They have shared food and are now just laying down...

Im sleeping close by tonight with one ear open as I can't possibly watch them all night 100%

Fingers crossed it all goes well x

This is the only place that elvis hasn't been before as he has the run of the house. It is only a small ensuite and there isn't that much floor space

sounds promising! them first stages (i should imagine are the worst) they just need to accept ok i am stuck with you so i have to get on with it but i am sure there will always be one thats dominant, i dont have experience other than a small attempt like i say but i was scared for days letting them with each other i did it all wrong though, i am more confident and wiser with Toto and Dorothy when i do them i was told have a water spray or gun to hand ha ha or a soft yard brush to split any fights i do hope this works for you fingers crossed keep us posted :wave:

Things are definitely looking up! I woke up this morning and they were both laid right next to each other asleep. I've been in and fed them this morning and they are both eating together and seem a little happier. Can't work out if elvis is actually the dominant one..

Just a quick question. While they are in the bathroom there isn't much room for them to run around. Do I need to let them out separately for more exercise or is it best to leave them together and restrict their exercise whilst the bond is taking place.

Sorry about the questions, it is my first ever attempt at a bond and I just need reassurance that I am doing the right thing!

You need a smaller area than the bathroom :wave:

This is what i was going to suggest. It literally needs to be just big enough for them to stretch out at first. Dont let them out for exercise - when they are in there, they are in there for the duration.

This is what i was going to suggest. It literally needs to be just big enough for them to stretch out at first. Dont let them out for exercise - when they are in there, they are in there for the duration.

I understand what you mean but the only other place I have is the cage that elvis usually stays in so this isn't neutral.

They have been together in the bathroom for over 24 hours and so far everything seems okay. I haven't seen any bad behaviour from either of them for over 20 hours. It seems like it's working.

What will go wrong if they are left in the bathroom and not taken to a smaller place?

Back