• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Wet nose, heat related?

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi. I've noticed my rabbit Buffy has a bit of a wet nose. It is not white stuff and it doesn't look like it has been running out of the nose. I am not sure if i'm describing it properly but it is clear watery and it is just below the nostrils on both sides. She hasn't sneezed. She is a little overweight for a lionhead rabbit but she's always been big (and we are trying to get her weight down) but could her being big be a reason for the wet nose?

I noticed she had a bit of a wet nose before when it was really hot and one of her sisters, Roxxy had some wet under her nose but this time only Buffy has it. I've put the ice packs in to help cool them down. She has been eating and drinking so i'm not sure if i am worrying about something i shouldn't be worried about?

I did read somewhere a while ago about someone else's rabbit and it was apparently the heat and it isn't an unusual thing? Can anyone help confirm this?

My Mini sometimes gets a wet nose when she's been running around a lot outside. Smudge too if he's got stressed for some reason (i.e., grooming). It's the exertion. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away get her to a vets. :) Is there anything you can do to cool if down for them? Water bottles in the freezer (no good until tomorrow though, when it's likely to be cooler), cool tile they can sit on, fan?

My Mini sometimes gets a wet nose when she's been running around a lot outside. Smudge too if he's got stressed for some reason (i.e., grooming). It's the exertion. Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go away get her to a vets. :) Is there anything you can do to cool if down for them? Water bottles in the freezer (no good until tomorrow though, when it's likely to be cooler), cool tile they can sit on, fan?

I've put ice packs in the hutch (well due to a certain rabbit chewing the ice packs and breaking them in this case frozen water bottles). Buffy hasn't been outside yet, it rained so we've had to wait for the grass to dry off. It has been a strange day because this morning it was really cool here and now it has warmed up. I'm wondering if the change in temperature has caused Buffy to get the wet nose? Is it a take to the vet right now issue though?

If it was me I wouldn't take to a vet yet. I'd see how it is tomorrow. Obviously if it gets worse or there is any discharge then I would. Have you checked the inside of the front paws, if she'll let you, for any crustiness? Sometimes they clean any discharge up themselves so you don't always see it.

I haven't checked her paws properly yet. I have looked at them to see if she has been cleaning them a lot but i didn't get her out and check underneath them.

I remember Scruffy had a bit of a wet nose before and i took him to the vet thinking he had pasturella (snuffles) and the vet said it wasn't that because his breathing was fine and it is could be the woodshavings or possible dust or even irritation to some hay. I've so far only changed Scruffy onto shredded paper and hay for his hutch so could Buffy be getting irritated by the woodshavings?

[edit-18:38] - ok put Buffy outside in run with her brothers and sisters and when put out she didn't have the wet patch and now she does after running around and doing some binky's. Her brothers and sisters also now have a wet patch under the nose. So does this mean it is the heat and them running around? therefore Buffy was hot in the hutch earlier?

Last edited:
Hi sorry for the double post but just thought i'd let you know, we checked Buffy's front paws for signs of any discharge but found none. An update on the wet under nose thing, well all 5 rabbits did get the wet and now since being back in thier hutches the wet has gone. I did feel thier ears before putting them out and all of them were a little hot, Buffy at one point felt warmer than her sisters but when i put the ice bottles in she cooled down quickly. I wonder if her mane is a reason too? Harmony and Roxxy didn't get the mane gene so are maneless lionheads so could the mane be a factor in getting hot?

Thier mother Foxxy was also outside and she didn't have the wet but she was in the shade and on concrete if that makes a difference.

It might just be the exertion of binkying and running around. :) It doesn't sound like anything to worry about but keep an eye on it for any worsening or any sneezing. :) Have you removed the shavings from all the rabbits now? That may be a contributing factor.

Hi. I checked Buffy today and she doesn't have the wet patch under her nose and none of the others do either. It has been heavily raining again here so unless it stops and dries the rabbits may not get outside today.

No we haven't changed them all yet (although i have put in some of the hutches bed areas some shredded paper and hay instead of woodshavings to see what they'd do). Still trying to work out what to do for the best really, cost is the main issue. With me being out of work again and the recent vet trips in the last few months, money is a bit tight right now. Also we are having to save up for when Frosty and Fuzzy leave us (and until then the medication).

Back