• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trying to convince my Dad to build a hutch..

whitehood

Warren Veteran
:oops:

I feel really bad, as I told him to build a run too.

All he really needs to do is un screw the run.
Keep the 4 6ft timber sticks.
Cut the 4 ft high sticks into 2.5 ft sticks.
And then make a cuboid frame (6x2.5x2.5ft)
Then the backside, theother two sides need to be fixed with walls, which we have the wood for.
Then we need to make 3 doors for the front side, 2ft doors.
We can use the mesh from the run.
We can use everything from the run really,

I have it all planned out in my head. :/
It won't cost that much, £10 the maximum probably.

Depending on how you do it, you dont need a drill either :p

We managed to do the playhouse, the shelves, the interior door and all the other little bits n bobs without a drill! Except for the cat flap.

I know if i asked my dad to build me a hutch, and i gave him a list like that, he would tell me to :censored: off!

Are you 100% confident in his woodwork skills? My dad used to make fences for a job, has done some amazing trellises and things, yet the hutch he made me was terrible, when it rains the whole inside ends up drenched and all the wood is coming apart :oops:

Asking and telling are too different things.

If you 'told' him, i think you are rather rude.

If you asked him, it depends if he feels comfortable doing something that will contain its own little lives.

Don't the buns live in your outhouse/shed? (Or am I imagining things?)

I'd have a go yourself! It's pretty much making a box. ;) All you need is a saw and a drill/screwdriver.
( set square and spirit level would also be helpful!)

:wave: I just finished my hutch, all I had was a handsaw, a hammer and a few screwdrivers.. I had a drill too, you need one if you want to use screws otherwise you will split the wood.
I used to pester my Dad for this kinda stuff too :lol: And even though they get annoyed, they'd feel unwanted if you didn't do it anymore! (speaking from my point of view as both an ex-pesterer and a pestered parent!).. when mine kept saying no I gave up asking and just gave it a go myself. He was always on hand if I needed rescuing anyway, and to be honest he was always much more willing to help than do it for me!
You should give it a go, you might enjoy it :thumb:.. and it's very rewarding :D

Last edited:
:wave: I just finished my hutch, all I had was a handsaw, a hammer and a few screwdrivers.. I had a drill too, you need one if you want to use screws otherwise you will split the wood.
I used to pester my Dad for this kinda stuff too :lol: And even though they get annoyed, they'd feel unwanted if you didn't do it anymore! (speaking from my point of view as both an ex-pesterer and a pestered parent!).. when mine kept saying no I gave up asking and just gave it a go myself. He was always on hand if I needed rescuing anyway, and to be honest he was always much more willing to help than do it for me!
You should give it a go, you might enjoy it :thumb:.. and it's very rewarding
:D

I agree with this 100% :lol:

If i just got on with it, he would always come and help me out, even if i didnt want him to! :lol: TBH hes a bit of a DIY disaster at times, health and safety goes right out of the window when dad gets hold of a saw/hammer! I asked him to do the catflap for me and ran a mile when he pulled a rusty old jig out of the shed!!

It is very rewarding doing it on your own :)

Back