• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My painted hutch!

rabbitdan

Mama Doe
My painted hutch!!!! Its R&R's birthday today and my dad had some spare paint/stain so i used it on the hutch! :) Ive been working at it all day and have given it two coats! The only thing i need to do know is re felt the roof and then i am ready for the cold winter ahead. I'm getting all done now as we usually go away October half time.
My green tarpaulin from eBay arrived today, it only cost me £1.66 so im not sure how long it will last, but at least ive got it.
I decided not to get a hutch cover due to the cost of them. I think my cover will be just as warm. Im using my hutch shutters, Clear polythene sheeting on the 1st layer (to leave down during rain/snow), Hessian sack on the second layer and Tarpaulin on the last layer.
Now for pictures.
Without shutters....
hutchpaint1.jpg

With shutters...
painthutch.jpg

Were you a Boy Scout? I'm impressed with your winter preparations :)

p.s. like how you've thought it through i.e. ventilation holes.

Were you a Boy Scout? I'm impressed with your winter preparations :)

p.s. like how you've thought it through i.e. ventilation holes.

I was indeed! But mainly its been my dad (a builder) encouraging me and helping me to build things when i was smaller. Now i can do it all my myself!

I like the shutter idea! I made a hutch cover from some camo tarpaulin from ebay too, where did you get the clear polythene and hessian sacking from though? Thanks

I would wait till late oct into nov. You want them to build up their thick coats for the really cold part of winter so from then do your winter prep in stages. Thick bed, then shutters, then the hessian.

You will know when the weather really turns cold and then it's time.

It all looks great, well done being so organised!

Back