• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dorothy cant have her spay :-( Update she is home)

pinkyblare

Alpha Buck
Dorothy is not well enough for spay today, they have found a very bad cut on her back leg/foot that has been infected for so long that its killed all the skin around it :cry: i am so upset she has been left like this by her breeder and i am so glad i got her when we did i wasnt able to handle her much when we got her other than to bath her as she was smelly i presumed her slight limp and way she hopped close to floor was cause she was so scared and never been used to having any exercise or stretching her legs out.

They are leaving the spay as it would be too much all in one go they are x-raying her to see if its damaged her bones as infection is so bad, they will flush out and remove all the skin as no other choice hopefully it will grow back once the infection has cleared up i have to take home antibiotics and painkiller when i pick her up

oh my god i am so glad i got her now and took her on, i dread to think what would of happended if she had been left there to rot :censored: poor girl deserves as much chance of a happy life now more than ever! its gonna cost me a fortune today as the x-ray alone if £45 my hubby wont be happy but i dont care she derserves some love attention, care and affection and i am gonna give it to her whatever the cost my poor girl please pull through this op and i hope we can get you on the mend very soon :(

Well £78 later she has had the dead skin removed its in the bend of her leg by her foot inside so must be soooo painful bless her, its all open and all they can do is letthe new skin replenish she had metacam and baytril (i think antibiotic) got to give from tomo afternoon when these wear off

she is trying to sit with her leg held up i feel so bad the only thing i can think of my sister said they were sat in cages on mesh she could of got her foot stuck in the grid and cut on the grid floor, my god vet says she wouldnt of last much longer if we hadnt of got her poor poor girl she also said try stop her licking it (huh how the heck can i do that i cant watch her 24 hours a day i have two children a full time job and 3 other rabbits eeek i cant sit with her for 24 hours unfortunately i thought them licking it would of helped:()

Anyway she is on the road to recovery now i will do all i can to make her life happy now, no wonder she didnt like anyone touching her rear end! got go back sat morning for check up she has eaten and drank since i brought her hom phew! xx

Last edited:
Poor dorothy. She is so lucky you rescued her hope she pulls through the op and makes a speedy recovery so she can enjoy the freedom of being a bunny

Obviously I'm not a vet but I'm kinda surprised they didn't choose to spay her while she was under for the X-ray, it's what they did with Mini, but I guess if she's not strong enough there is the risk of the longer time under GA being all too much for her.

Obviously I'm not a vet but I'm kinda surprised they didn't choose to spay her while she was under for the X-ray, it's what they did with Mini, but I guess if she's not strong enough there is the risk of the longer time under GA being all too much for her.

i thought that but she did say she could of done with a bit of extra weight on her, and the infection was so severe she thought getting over that was enough she didnt like the idea of her having to recover from both she didnt think she was strong enough to deal with both i would of preferred it as we are waiting to bond her but i want her to be 100% i never know whether it was a way of getting more money? you can never tell but she did say she only charged me half price for the GA because this isnt what she went in for and they felt a bit bad i think, but i am sure i trust them and take on board their comments she seems a lovely vet and was very concerned saying if that leg wasnt treated today she wouldnt of lasted much longer where she lived before :( but i will wait a good few weeks and wont put her through another op until she is well enough she is side by side with Toto so they can see and smell each other i am hoping that company will help her along a bit x

they keep touching noses and he is tring to groom her apart from the leg and needs a bit of extra weight she is ok so not concerned about quarantine anymore vet says the company would do her good being next to him she had no concerns on that front back for check up on sat morning xx

Back