• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My poor Mum and other peoples' rabbits!

dizzyg

Warren Veteran
Not much point to this thread but I'm feeling for my Mum at the moment!

She's looking after her friend's bun for a fortnight (at her friend's house) while she's away on hols. This bun is a single, unneutered male who recently lost his spayed wifey. So he's a bit lonely.

Anyway, Mum got this phonecall the other day to say that she'd in fact be feeding two bunnies because her friend's sister had left her unspayed female there (in her own hutch/run thing) to 'keep the other one company cos he's lonely'. :roll:

Mum's annoyed because she can see that the poor things are frantic with hormones, they can see and smell each other, and are going a bit crazy. She got there the other day to find the girlie bun had tried to dig her way to the boy bun!:shock: Mum thinks it's just cruel having two unneutered buns in sniffing distance of each other, so she's getting upset. And what happens when girlie bun goes home? Boy bun gets lonely.

Mum's mentioned before about neutering, about the difference it makes to behaviour and much happier our boys were when they weren't ravaged by hormones, but her friend is the type who gets bunnies just to 'have' them, she doesn't see the point in stuff like vacs and neutering, whereas Mum's were her substitute children that she'd drop everything for, so she's getting frustrated!

No point really, but I wanted to share her pain!

:wave:

is there anyway she can move the hutch with the doe in it to another area of the garden hun...i know thats not the ideal solution but its all i can think of to make it less distressing for the buns :D

bless her, she's only small is my mum but she managed to move it! She just thinks it's really unfair on the buns to be put through that. :( And she's worried about them digging out and finding each other...

Your poor mum. :( I know the feeling, you'd love to say 'no i won't look after unneutered animals' but when the people are friends or family it's just not that easy. :(

aaah poor buns...why doesnt your mum call the owner who has the doe and ask her to take her back..say she is going to hurt herself trying to get to the male;) Maybe your mum can also give her a pamphlet on cancer etc for does..:?

bless her, she's only small is my mum but she managed to move it! She just thinks it's really unfair on the buns to be put through that. :( And she's worried about them digging out and finding each other...

well done to ur mum...i hope she didnt hurt herself moving em :D

Back