• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Myxomatosis in vaccinated domestic rabbits

medge

New Kit
My three rabbits have got myxomatosis of varying severity, despite being vaccinated against it. They have been to the vets several times since they were first ill two weeks ago & are on baytril & metacam as well as fucithalmic gel for one rabbit with a poorly eye. They are still eating & are active.
The vet says they are not out of the woods yet & if they do recover it will be slow progress.
I have two questions - Am I doing the right thing in treating them or should I have them put to sleep to relive any further suffering?
Is there anything else I can do in the way of more efficient medication or to releve their symptoms?

I love my rabbits & want to do the best for them but not at a cost to their enjoyment of life. The vet thinks we should continue with medication but I worry whether this is really in the best interest of my rabbits.
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

What are their symptoms, is is standard myxi with the swollen eyes or do the have nodular myxi with one or more small lumps?

The later is most treatable, the former is more difficult even when vaccinated.

How long ago were they vaccinated? Do make sure your vets report it to the manufacturers as they are legally required to keep records of any problems with their vaccine.

I've now had 5 buns with myxi. 4 vaccinated.

The first was pts immediately, 2 & 3 - I treated - 3 survived & is now healthy, 2 died, I'm currently treating 4 & 5. 4 is virtually clear. 5 is the unvacs one, but is doing very well:D

Of the two that died - both had breathing effected by it

No 3 was the only one that looked like nodular myxi - the rest were standard

I've now had 5 buns with myxi. 4 vaccinated.

The first was pts immediately, 2 & 3 - I treated - 3 survived & is now healthy, 2 died, I'm currently treating 4 & 5. 4 is virtually clear. 5 is the unvacs one, but is doing very well:D

Of the two that died - both had breathing effected by it

No 3 was the only one that looked like nodular myxi - the rest were standard

Will you be vaccinating your buns in future? You have your buns vaccinated to stop them getting diseases but if they can still get them and die anyway what is the point?

Will you be vaccinating your buns in future? You have your buns vaccinated to stop them getting diseases but if they can still get them and die anyway what is the point?

It's like wearing a seatbelt, it doesn't 100% guarantee you won't get injured in a crash but it makes it much less likely.

OMG...don't get them pts esp if they are "well" broadly speaking!!!!

I moved to a myxi prone area last September and by October my two buns had nodular myxi (sigh!)
Both did fine with it. My old boy died sadly die on May of this year :cry: but not at all myxi related. My doe who must be 5ish is as I type running round on the grass grazing!!!!

What I would say is if they are having ongoing antibiotics get so profibre to protect their tummies from tummy upsets. If the anti-inflammatories are tolerated well fine but if you think tummies are sore maybe add some zantac?

Keep going they are so worth it!!!!! xxxxx

Back