• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA DON'T have a recommended hutch size

lottielouise

Wise Old Thumper
Ive been sent this

http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232725725160&mode=prd

Page 3 states:-

The RSPCA does not have minimum dimensions for rabbit housing that are available to the public at this time. It is anticipated that the housing guidelines published at the end of 2012 will include minimum dimensions for rabbits of different sizes. Please note: The RSPCA has not endorsed or approved any rabbit housing products at this time.

So where has it come from that the RSPCA recommend 6ft etc etc etc

i also have thought this :?
Plus hope you dont mind me adding but, it also wont help new rabbit owners have a 'minimum set up' if it keeps changing all the time :?

The RSPCA HQ used to, but currently don't. I think cos they were hoping the Rabbit Code of Practice would say something useful.

RSPCA branches, often have minimum housing requirements they will rehome to though, eg if you want to adopt a rabbit you have to have a minimum of a 6' hutch etc.

The RWA has the 6' minimum guideline.

RSPCA are currently looking at everything bunny related. There was a big survey etc a while back and everything is being redone. That includes accommodation sizes. :wave:

How does that help out a newbie? that ought to have a recommended size to help people find out what size rabbits need. Some people really don't realize 4ft isn't big enough.

To be honest I think that whilst ever pathetically small hutches are on the market and while 5 foot hutches can be advertised as "huge" "luxury" etc., I don't think the general public give a jot as to what the RSPCA recommend. :(

Minimum hutch size needs to be law.

the public might not care but if the rspca did make an official recommendation the hutches would come under the trade description act when stating how many rabbits they are suitable for and people using hutches that are too small could be prosecuted for cruelty. The rwa, blue cross and pdsa all make a minimum recommendation. The people on here who quote the rspca are actually quoting their local rehoming guidelines. It doesnt help the situation that lots of people will look to the brc rather that the rwa and the brc's recommendations are tiny.

the public might not care but if the rspca did make an official recommendation the hutches would come under the trade description act when stating how many rabbits they are suitable for and people using hutches that are too small could be prosecuted for cruelty.

Interesting. I thought it would have to be law rather than a guideline before anyone could be prosecuted.

If I bought a 3 foot hutch for one rabbit and they tried to prosecute for cruelty, my first line of defense would be the fact that they are for sale for this purpose. If they're unfit for purpose (which we know they are), how come they're still on sale?

i just looked at the brc site and theyve taken off their size recommendations which used to be 2' for a nethie 3' for a dwarf lop and 4' for a giant. They just say there must be room for 3hops and full stretching out. They do however say most set shops sell suitable accomodation.

Last edited:
I agree with everyone on this. I bought a 4ft teir thinking it was huge....until people explained the situation to me (and we actually built our own 6x2x2 hutch, we could actually see that the 4x2.5x1.5 was actually way too small. We use it for our young bunnies for now, but it will be kept as a spair in the future.

Maybe we all need to start a signature note thing to stop small hutches? Send it to the RSPCA, shops etc to know people are aware? Something along those lines maybe?

That's when specific sizes help, at what point is a hutch fit/unfit for purpose and what are you basing that statement on. The only legal guidelines are for commercial housing or that in Wales that rabbits can take three hops. Of course you then need reliable research on hop length.

I presume what the RSPCA are doing atm is gathering the science to backup their opinion. The RSPCA need to back up what they recommend with evidence/facts is they want it used in court etc.

Interesting. I thought it would have to be law rather than a guideline before anyone could be prosecuted.

If I bought a 3 foot hutch for one rabbit and they tried to prosecute for cruelty, my first line of defense would be the fact that they are for sale for this purpose. If they're unfit for purpose (which we know they are), how come they're still on sale?
There isnt specific laws for every item to describe fit for purpose but there must be consensus as to what that is for a judge to make a decision and for animal welfare the government look to the rspca. If, for example the rspca brought out a minimum, then prosecuted someone for cruelty, the judge would look at the evidence the rspca base their recommendations on and make a decision on whether it is cruelty. Once that decision has been made it becomes common law (although it could be appealed) thats why they have to get their research right on the physical and behavioural effects of small accommodation. Once thats in place the manufacturers can then be prosecuted for selling goods unfit for purpose and also false advertising if they are saying the hutch is suitable.

to be honest anyone could take a case to court if they had the money to. RWA could, i assume they foot either because there isnt enough evidence or they dont have enough money. What i would suggest is for everyone who realises theyve been conned in to buying substandard accomodation should make a complaint to trading standards because if enough people did trading standards would HAVE TO look in to it and decide if to take a first case to trial.

Last edited:
That's when specific sizes help, at what point is a hutch fit/unfit for purpose and what are you basing that statement on.

It's based on seeing broken bunnies that have been kept in woefully small accomodation and seeing happy healthy bunnies kept in spacious accomodation. Not very scientific :oops:

There isnt specific laws for every item to describe fit for purpose but there must be consensus as to what that is for a judge to make a decision and for animal welfare the government look to the rspca. If, for example the rspca brought out a minimum, then prosecuted someone for cruelty, the judge would look at the evidence the rspca base their recommendations on and make a decision on whether it is cruelty. Once that decision has been made it becomes common law (although it could be appealed) thats why they have to get their research right on the physical and behavioural effects of small accommodation. Once thats in place the manufacturers can then be prosecuted for selling goods unfit for purpose and also false advertising if they are saying the hutch is suitable.

Interesting. So basically we need one of the so called big guns i.e. RSPCA or RWA to take one case to court and a sympathetic judge. Then if the case is won, it would become law and the floodgates would be open?

Makes sense for them to get their pacts 100% watertight before going down this route.

to be honest anyone could take a case to court if they had the money to. RWA could, i assume they foot either because there isnt enough evidence or they dont have enough money. What i would suggest is for everyone who realises theyve been conned in to buying substandard accomodation should make a complaint to trading standards because if enough people did trading standards would HAVE TO look in to it and decide if to take a first case to trial.

A previous reply from Trading Standards over the small hutch issue:

The RWAF complained to Trading Standards regarding the 77cm Argos hutch that was described as allowing the rabbit to 'run freely' - the reply indicated that 'as it had not materially affected our decision to make a purchase' that they couldnt uphold the complaint and take further action, although they did advise Argos to amend the description, so perhaps trading standards is the best way to go with this.

When i was looking for a bunny at our local RSPCA they said there wasnt a specific hutch size due to the various sizes of rabbits they explained it to me as three full hops in length and that the bunny should be able to stand up fully with room to spare? also with access to a run, Hope that makes sense i was told that in probably March time?

yeah i complained to trading standards about a 3' double hutch i bought as suitable for 4 rabbits (to be honest i never even looked at the sizes i went off the description) and they came back to me to say there was no law or guideline for them to base a decision on and it was up to me as the consumer to be satisfied before purchase. If trading standards had the evidence they could even take it to court. I do think the rspca delayed because they thought it would be covered by the animal welfare laws that where meant to come out last year.

When i was looking for a bunny at our local RSPCA they said there wasnt a specific hutch size due to the various sizes of rabbits they explained it to me as three full hops in length and that the bunny should be able to stand up fully with room to spare? also with access to a run, Hope that makes sense i was told that in probably March time?
I think part of the research will be to give average hop lengths and the length of various breeds when fully stretched to get a size, because you average joe public buying a baby bunny will really have no idea how big it will be, particularly as they are so good at making themselves appear smaller. (just think of all the dwarf lops people put on preloved saying theyve grown too big)

Back