• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

First Baby, now Nami :@

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemiS

Warren Veteran
I just went to go give the trio some pellets and Nami just clamped down on my thumb :cry: She wasn't just locking down she was pulling as well, it honestly felt like she was ripping a huge chunk out, luckily she hasn't but I've got two big bite marks already badly bruised and she's drawn blood :cry:

After baby turned on me, I decided I didn't want to breed from that line, I explained my situation to another breeder who I really trusted and asked for a friendly doe that wouldn't bite :roll:

Any suggestions over food? They're getting quite a bit more than the reccomended ammount but still scuffling over it, I don't know if that's why she bit me or not though. Usually I spread it out in a line on the hutch floor but I just bought three seperate bowls, the kind that hook onto the hutch mesh, she went for me as I put the first bowl in

I can't go through this again, it broke my heart with Baby :cry:

aww Demi , dont worry :wave:
We all get bit by our rabbits, even the firendliest can change sometimes . For example harry was the most friendliess rabbit ever and one day he took a chunk out my mums finger as she was giving him a treat, he in no means meant it but was very food obsessive !!!
Have you tried seperating them to feed them :wave:
maybe feed them earlier when its light, put one in the run to eat, and the other two at eiher ends of the hutch, that should make sure they all get there fair share :wave:

Maybe your hands smelled of food, and if they are frantic for food she may have just grabbed your thumb thinking it was edible before the next buny got it, especially if she is not aggresive at other times.
Just a thought. :?
Hope your thumb is ok.

aww Demi , dont worry :wave:
We all get bit by our rabbits, even the firendliest can change sometimes . For example harry was the most friendliess rabbit ever and one day he took a chunk out my mums finger as she was giving him a treat, he in no means meant it but was very food obsessive !!!
Have you tried seperating them to feed them :wave:
maybe feed them earlier when its light, put one in the run to eat, and the other two at eiher ends of the hutch, that should make sure they all get there fair share :wave:

I can understand a nip it's the clamp down thing that's just making me wonder what I've ever done wrong to them :( Baby would let go if I squeezed her jaw a bit but Nami was really pulling and wouldn't let go :?

With the food thing, it's the first bit they scuffle over, obviously I can only give them one handful at a time or one bowl at a time, they're fine when I get it all in they realise there's plenty for all of them. Besides they tend to eat about half and then nibble the rest through the day, and in the run they'd be much more interested in the grass

Maybe your hands smelled of food, and if they are frantic for food she may have just grabbed your thumb thinking it was edible before the next buny got it, especially if she is not aggresive at other times.
Just a thought. :?
Hope your thumb is ok.

Possibly, I had been digging my hands in the excel and SS, but surely she'd quickly let go when she realised I'm not food, and not have lunged at me so suddenly?

aww :( It could have been the food. Can you feed them pellets separatley? It'll stop the scuffling. ;) Maybe she was just having an "off day". How old is she? Maybe her hormones are kicking in? Tinker used to be a little angel but she turned into a right monster :shock: She'd bite, scratch and lunge at me. :( Have you thought of spaying her? It seriously changed my Tink back from being a stroppy cow to an absolute angel again! :lol: Hoping it was just a one off for you though. :)

aww :( It could have been the food. Can you feed them pellets separatley? It'll stop the scuffling. ;)Maybe she was just having an "off day". How old is she? Maybe her hormones are kicking in? Tinker used to be a little angel but she turned into a right monster :shock: She's bite, scratch and lunge at me. :( Have you thought of spaying her? It seriously changed my Tink back from being a stroppy cow to an absolute angel again! :lol: Hoping it was just a one off for you though. :)

Yes she is going to be spayed, priority for castration is Rory, then Nami, then Baby, I can't afford to have all three done together. I really do hope it's hormones or something, or even just the food :( She's between 6 months and a year old (can't remember exact age right now)

ETA: Now I think about it she has been quite 'grunty' other days when I've put her food in, or tried to stroke her. She was never like this when she was by herself though, she wasn't territorial in her old hutch

Last edited:
Maybe you shouldn't breed.

Whats that got to do with anything? I haven't bred for over a year and decided not long ago I will not be doing so again :? , Baby was never bred because of her biting, this rabbit I originally got to breed because she had a great temperament but she bonded with Flash and Harley and I decided not to breed :? But thanks for the help

Yes she is going to be spayed, priority for castration is Rory, then Nami, then Baby, I can't afford to have all three done together. I really do hope it's hormones or something, or even just the food :( She's between 6 months and a year old (can't remember exact age right now)

Ah right, probably is just hormones then. She possibly was just in a bad mood! It was heartbreaking for me when tink just went all nasty. I'd had her since she was 9 weeks old and she was used to being handled, I'd never treated her differently to Mischief and he was always lovely, she'd just changed. :( She was about 7 or 8 months old at the time. Then I learnt about the girl buns and their hormones and was so hoping it was just that, it was. :) She's back to being friendly now. :D Good luck with Nami and Baby's spays and Rory's neuter. :)

I'm not peeved because I can't breed her :lol: I'm peeved because I loved baby to bits and she turned on me, really hurt me to the point I took her to my grandmas and was scared to go near her, she's just stopped biting and now Nami's started

Whats that got to do with anything? I haven't bred for over a year and decided not long ago I will not be doing so again :? , Baby was never bred because of her biting, this rabbit I originally got to breed because she had a great temperament but she bonded with Flash and Harley and I decided not to breed :?

Everything, actually makes me feel quite sick to read you 'got a rabbit to breed becuase she had a nice temperament' Don't come on here much .... reformed character then? Well done.

Ah right, probably is just hormones then. She possibly was just in a bad mood! It was heartbreaking for me when tink just went all nasty. I'd had her since she was 9 weeks old and she was used to being handled, I'd never treated her differently to Mischief and he was always lovely, she'd just changed. :( She was about 7 or 8 months old at the time. Then I learnt about the girl buns and their hormones and was so hoping it was just that, it was. :) She's back to being friendly now. :D Good luck with Nami and Baby's spays and Rory's neuter. :)

Thanks, that's kind of reassuring to hear, sorry you went through it :( ! I'd had Baby from birth and she didn't care that she hurt me, I made the hurrendous 'squealing' sound a rabbit would when in pain and she didn't even flinch

Everything, actually makes me feel quite sick to read you 'got a rabbit to breed becuase she had a nice temperament' Don't come on here much .... reformed character then? Well done.

Your superior attitude is so annoying.

To be perfectly honest I've had a REALLY cr@p few days. The mention of breeding sets me off. I'll go now and let you get on.

If you find the answer let me know as I have a severely interbred foster with agression and emotional issues in one of my sheds.

Yes, I was a breeder, I didn't want to breed aggressive rabbits and I had space so I got a new girlie with a good temperament? I didn't get her purely to breed, she's a pet as much as all of my rabbits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back