• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

RSPCA discount neutering/spaying? Plus advice please?!

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
My mum reckoned she heard that the RSPCA will pay for or discount neutering of pets - is this correct and does anyone know anything about it.

My 2 sister rabbits are 6 and a half months old and are desperate to be spayed as they keeping humping each other - :s worried there's going to be a fight before long.

But my vets want £81!!! Each! Of course I don't mind paying this because it's best for the rabbits - bit skint right now though! So if anyone has any info on this it'd be great.

Also, I have just taken in 2 male rabbits to foster - they're in the garden, but it's only since they arrived the girls have started humping - do you think it might be that they can smell the boys on me when I've been out?

i rung up about this for my bun before i eventually got told i had to be on the dole or they wont do it :censored::censored:
which i think is unfair i think taxpayers should be able to get this cheaper too
my vets want over £100 so im saving up

That's ludicrous - if you can't pay to look after yourself, why have pets? (Sorry - I don't mean that at everyone on the dole - some people are genuine - but not everyone!)

That's ludicrous - if you can't pay to look after yourself, why have pets? (Sorry - I don't mean that at everyone on the dole - some people are genuine - but not everyone!)

its unfair i want a discount :(
why should people on the dole get it and not others :(

to get a rabbit spayed/neutered etc under the RSPCA (if they didn't originally come from the RSPCA) you need things like income alowance from the council etc I believe?

Saying that I bought a baby girl from the RSPCA and got her a friend the same day, the RSPCA offered to spay them both under the RSCPA for me. I paid a £30 deposit towards the RSCPA bunny but nothing the the RSPCA for the other girl even though she is being done by them. I'm total for me, thats £30 for 2 rabbits to be spayed, and at my favourite vets too.

Do some research, and phone lots of rescue centres, some will agree to depending on the circumstance.

Best of luck :)

Have you tried ringing around other vets to see if they have better prices?
I got my girls neutered for £45 each, which was a really good price compared to other vets I called :)

Have you tried ringing around other vets to see if they have better prices?
I got my girls neutered for £45 each, which was a really good price compared to other vets I called :)

i would do but ive only got 2 vets one charges 100+ for big buns which mind is and clevedale vets isnt good with rabbits i heard
i save up i think i might have to go on the dole yet if i carnt find a job

i rung up about this for my bun before i eventually got told i had to be on the dole or they wont do it :censored::censored:
which i think is unfair i think taxpayers should be able to get this cheaper toomy vets want over £100 so im saving up

Why?

There's only 2 in our town - and the others aren't as vet savvy. I'm happy to pay that to go to my vet as she keeps rabbits herself and is very interested in that area of vetinary work.

Anyone got any advice on the second thing I mentioned? :)

local rspca put different criteria on their neutering scheme. Mine do cats and rabbits/ferrets for £15 plus free microchipping, thats to everyone. Dog you have to be on benefits.

But I would suggest having a ring around the local area. I paid £120 for a spay in Manchester, and assumed it would be around this again, however my vets for pets do males at £45 and females at £55

which i think is unfair i think taxpayers should be able to get this cheaper too
my vets want over £100 so im saving up

Where do you think the RSPCA get their money from to be able to offer reduced price neutering etc? Its from the likes of us who stand out in the rain and snow with a bucket raising money for people who need help!

If everyone was entitled to use the RSPCA for low cost neutering there would be no RSPCA!

Last edited:
Where do you think the RSPCA get their money from to be able to offer reduced price neutering etc? Its from the likes of us who stand out in the rain and snow with a bucket raising money for people who need help!

If everyone was entitled to use the RSPCA for low cost neutering there would be no RSPCA!

i just mean some people not everyoen but some on benifits just arent genuine

1. RSPCA assistance comes in two ways:
the first is usually being able to attend their clinics and get the neutering done there - this is available to everyone on benefits of some kind.
the second is if you take on an RSPCA or sometimes other rabbits from a genuine rescue or emergency case - they can give you help with neutering.
I suspect from what you say the second is not the case - but the first might be as it is not just 'the dole' but all kinds of benefits.

However personally I would not want to entrust my bun to some of the vets at the clinics who are not that experienced always.

2. The cost you have had quoted is quite high - ours are £65 for girls - however if the others in your area are not good with rabbits then it is worth it.

3. The females would have started to hump and argue and fight each other at this age anyway - however the presence of un-neutered males will have really added to this and is likely to cause all out warfare (with possible severe injuries). i suggest that you try and remove the males as afr away as possible (and they should also be castrated asap - otherwise they will also fight very badly - male rabbits can and will kill each other).

Yeah - Becki has booked them in for next Tuesday for neutering for the males.

I'm going to call my vet tomorrow and book the girls in - Binky's been a bit off her food tonight - Baileys been chasing her - think she might be a bit stressed.

Got her to eat some dandelion leaves though - but she won't even look at her pellets:(

Not stopped Bailey wolfing the whole lot down mind... :lol:

can you seperate them for now? She needs to keep eating . . . also dont forget that they can eat right up to the op (no starving for 12 hours unlike cats and dogs - as rabbits cannot vomit and food in the gut is essential at all times)

I am happy to take Binky & Bailey when I take the boys, If you'd like? Its £52 there.

Sending Kisses to Binky :( XXXXXX

ETA: Its not £52, thats males. I can find out tomo if you like, just let me know ;)

I am happy to take Binky & Bailey when I take the boys, If you'd like? Its £52 there.

Sending Kisses to Binky :( XXXXXX

ETA: Its not £52, thats males. I can find out tomo if you like, just let me know ;)

I know I just text you saying I'll take them here - but will you ask about the cost please? If it's lots cheaper I take you up on that - it's a lot money £81! Thanks Becki :)

Back