• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

HELP! Matted cashmere rabbit ... Don't know what to do.

youthnovels

Wise Old Thumper
I've just been in receipt of a heavily matted cashmere baby bun. She's in, in my opinion, an absolutely appalling state. I've taken the photos on my iPhone so they don't show off how bad she is ...

51E870DC-orig.jpg

This is after I've butchered away at the top half of her.

10D03A1F-orig-1-1.jpg

Her underneath is just one big knotty mess.

I've spent the past two hours snipping away at her and have nearly half a carrier bag full of matts and I've still not made any progress. Some of them are so close to her skin though I'm terrified of hurting her.

Her feet are filthy and caked in dried poo and her tail is so matted I don't know what's skin and what's fur.

She's absolutely beautiful and has been as good as gold whilst I've been chopping away at her but I just don't know what to do for the best now and I'm sure she must be getting fed up! The slicker brush, teasing comb and nail scissors don't seem to be the right tools for the job.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what to suggest - is anyone in the area who can help who might be a bit more experienced with this?

If not maybe a trip to the vet to help clean her up - considering the conditions she appears to have come from a vet check up might be a good idea anyway.

She's beautiful though - what's her story? x

Oh bless her! Poor little darling!

It may seem drastic, but does there come a point where it might be kinder to shave her?

Poor thing! Looks like you need something a bit more heavy duty to get those mats out.. I guess you could try some small clippers, or maybe using a little oil, or something slippy and try to tease the mats come out? Thinning scissors might help. But I'd be worried about stressing her out too much, might do more damage than good.
:cry: It's so sad someone would let her get in such a state in the first place.
Sorry I've not helped much, hope someone has a better idea for you soon.

I'd take her to the vet but brace yourself for her to be shaved bald, or nearly bald. It's probably the most dramatic, but could be the only solution. Her fur will grow back. I've seen it done for dogs on rescue programmes and they turn out to be beautiful once it's all grown back.

Poor thing. Well done for taking her. I think she needs a vet trip really. Does she have a BRC breeder ring on her leg or am I seeing things?

Poor wee mite :cry: I think she probably needs to be sedated to get the worst of the mats out :( If the mats are so close to her skin you could end up tearing her skin even if you're really gentle with her :(

Can she wee & poo ok through the mats? And move all of her legs ok? If not I'd be tempted just to sort those areas but would try just gently snipping away with the nail scissors & tease the mats apart with your fingers. I think the comb & slicker brush might pull her skin too much :( I'd then leave the rest until you can get her in at the vets :(

She's gorgeous & no doubt she feels better already bless her :love:

Good luck with her xxx

I had a cashmere lop who,though brushed daily,still got matted,though not dirty.He got taken to the vets for a comb through/clip.Wouldn't have a cashmere or angora again.

oh poor girl. :( I see a breeder ring too, great, another breeder that doesn't give a **** about their rabbits. :cry: How did you get her? I hope she can be sorted out, well done on doing your best for her so far. x

I'm not sure what to suggest - is anyone in the area who can help who might be a bit more experienced with this?

If not maybe a trip to the vet to help clean her up - considering the conditions she appears to have come from a vet check up might be a good idea anyway.

She's beautiful though - what's her story? x

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. In my area people know me as the small animal lady, it seems like a friend of a friend of a friend has got wind, dumped the rabbit on my friend and asked her to give her to me. :roll: Leaving my friend in a rather impossible situation as she is allergic to rabbits/doesn't know the first thing about them so she's come right round here. I don't know whether I'm annoyed to be put in the situation or grateful that she's come to someone who will look after her. Only thing is we only buried Blanche today so it all seems a bit too soon but I'm also a strong believer in fate ... Thank god I have a spare indoor setup!

She doesn't have a BRC ring but I have a feeling the person has had a dabble in breeding rabbits and couldn't get rid of them. :evil: The little mite is so skinny as well. She's very alert and inquisitive, eating properly and drinking so I'm not worried about her as such but she will be having a vets trip on Thursday and I will be making efforts to chub her up.

I think clipping is going to be the best option :(

My advice is shave her as short as you can, try as hard as you can to get out remaining matts that are restricting her in any way, if there are any matts not hurting the rabbit and that you or the vet can't get out you'll have to wait till the fur grows back a bit and cut them out

The mikki range do quite a few strange looking matt removing tools, they may be too harsh for bunny skin though, I can't remember exactly what they look like, except one which had a little soft plastic hook to go under the matt, and a little blade to cut the top of the matt

ETA: P@H do mikki matt splitter, matt breaker and matt master, this is the splitter - http://www.petsathome.com/shop/matt-splitter-for-small-matts-by-mikki-26687 but again if the coat is that short and still matted I'm not sure if the hook bit would go under :?

Last edited:
poor darling:(

well done for taking her in:love:

it saddens me seeing what an appalling state fluffy bunnies are sometimes allowed to get into:cry:

hello

hi there, having just finished my dog grooming course and having had a bunyip in a similar state the fairest thing, in my opinion, is to clipper them short and let the new fur grow back. just be a bit careful cos sometimes the hair pulls out.

scissoring is likely make her look just as much of an eyesore so may as well get it all off, she will thank you for it, how uncomfortable must that be to sit with those knots?

she needs a short blade on the clipper to get under the mats and something that will do a proper job. a vet can do this or is there an groomer near by who is willing to help out?

hope this helps

jane

ps please dont attempt to bath her in that state all you will end up with is shampoo in the knots which wont help and may make things worse. Thinning scissors wont touch it. the only way to get such knots out is with a sharp pair of scissors slicing into the knot but then thats a dangerous game and clippers are far far safer. the shorter the blade the less likely they are to nick her skin.

x

Yes, I agree, shaving her is the best option. It will also let you see the condition of the skin better as it can get nasty under matts.

I have Bungle who is a cashmere and he was in a right state when I first got him. I had the vets give him a good shave when he was under GA for his neuter.

Try not to comb too much if it's matted as it will just pull her skin. If Bungle has a bad matt I cut into it and then leave it a day or two and keep cutting into it until it works out. You won't get her looking perfect straight away. I keep Bungle shaved quite short but it does make him look messy!

She is gorgeous- are you going to keep her?

Last edited:
hi there, having just finished my dog grooming course and having had a bunyip in a similar state the fairest thing, in my opinion, is to clipper them short and let the new fur grow back. just be a bit careful cos sometimes the hair pulls out.

scissoring is likely make her look just as much of an eyesore so may as well get it all off, she will thank you for it, how uncomfortable must that be to sit with those knots?

she needs a short blade on the clipper to get under the mats and something that will do a proper job. a vet can do this or is there an groomer near by who is willing to help out?

hope this helps

jane

ps please dont attempt to bath her in that state all you will end up with is shampoo in the knots which wont help and may make things worse. Thinning scissors wont touch it. the only way to get such knots out is with a sharp pair of scissors slicing into the knot but then thats a dangerous game and clippers are far far safer. the shorter the blade the less likely they are to nick her skin.

x

Thanks that's really helpful! I've given up now got out the ones that I could, she's moving fine just probably still a bit uncomfortable. On Thursday (my first day off) she'll be going to the vets.

She looks more like a westie pup than a rabbit! I think I'm falling for her a tiny bit, she's so trusting and lovely, already had some licks off her! x

I have Bungle who is a cashmere and he was in a right state when I first got him. I had the vets give him a good shave when he was under GA for his neuter.

Try not to comb too much if it's matted as it will just pull her skin. If Bungle has a bad matt I cut into it and then leave it a day or two and keep cutting into it until it works out. You won't get her looking perfect straight away. I keep Bungle shaved quite short but it does make him look messy!

She is gorgeous- are you going to keep her?

I was looking at your threads before about bungle looking for some advice actually!

I keep saying no more pets because of the heartache but Archie is only 2 and was so loved up with Blanche, it seems unfair to keep him alone. Right now I honestly don't know, my head is saying one thing my heart on the other hand ....

My main concentration is to get her up to health and sort out her coat, then think long term!

I was looking at your threads before about bungle looking for some advice actually!

I keep saying no more pets because of the heartache but Archie is only 2 and was so loved up with Blanche, it seems unfair to keep him alone. Right now I honestly don't know, my head is saying one thing my heart on the other hand ....

My main concentration is to get her up to health and sort out her coat, then think long term!

Well if you decide to regime here I may be able to twist OH's arm!

Back