• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Growing Plants for the Bunnies

LoopyLou2087

Warren Scout
:wave: I have some old plastic plant pots, and I was thinking I could plant some edible herbs or plants in them, so the bunnies can have a dig and a nibble, I thought they'd really enjoy that. But I'm a hopeless gardener, and last time I tired to grow herbs on my windowsill it was disastrous. So I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of edible garden plants or herbs that are EASY to grow in pots for the bunnies. Any suggestions appreciated! :D

You could buy some of the small 'living herb' plants from supermarkets and just pot them up. Parsley is easy, so is Mint.
If you've got a bigger pot you could buy a blackberry plant, they grow very easily too.

I want to do this too and like you everytime I try to grow anything I fail miserably :( Once the buns have munched the herbs down will they grow again if watered etc or do you have to plant new seeds and start again from scratch?? Is this the same for grass?

I want to do this too and like you everytime I try to grow anything I fail miserably :( Once the buns have munched the herbs down will they grow again if watered etc or do you have to plant new seeds and start again from scratch?? Is this the same for grass?

I'm guessing you'd have to start again depending on how much they munched, I was thinking of having a few on the go and alternating pots!

I'm guessing you'd have to start again depending on how much they munched, I was thinking of having a few on the go and alternating pots!

That's a good idea, the rate mine eat herbs I'd have to be growing loads :lol: But then grass in the garden grows continuously so I don't see why it wouldn't do the same in a pot - I might give it a go and see what happens :D

It is a good time of year to sow parsley, coriander and chervil. :) Just get some seeds and plonk them in some peat-free compost in the pots. Water in, place in the sun and wait for em to come up. :)

It is a good time of year to sow parsley, coriander and chervil. :) Just get some seeds and plonk them in some peat-free compost in the pots. Water in, place in the sun and wait for em to come up. :)

I tried this once but they died! I'm an awful gardener! Do they need water all the time? and do they go inside or out? :oops:

I tried this once but they died! I'm an awful gardener! Do they need water all the time? and do they go inside or out? :oops:

They can probably start off outside at the moment, but when it gets colder they will need warmth/protection either in a greenhouse/cold frame or with fleece or a windowsill.

I tend to only water when it needs it. The easiest way to tell is by lifting the pot - if its heavy it has water, if its light, its dry. You can also stick your fingers in the soil to tell if it is slightly damp or not.

Keep them away from the bunnies and feed them bits you pick off otherwise they will eat it all and it will stop growing. Alternatively you could cover them over with some kind of mesh so that they can only eat the bits poking through

Keep them away from the bunnies and feed them bits you pick off otherwise they will eat it all and it will stop growing. Alternatively you could cover them over with some kind of mesh so that they can only eat the bits poking through

So they do grow continuously? :?

They can probably start off outside at the moment, but when it gets colder they will need warmth/protection either in a greenhouse/cold frame or with fleece or a windowsill.

I tend to only water when it needs it. The easiest way to tell is by lifting the pot - if its heavy it has water, if its light, its dry. You can also stick your fingers in the soil to tell if it is slightly damp or not.

I'm guessing that things like Miracle Grow and other fertiliser sprays etc should be avoided as it could get into the rabbits system when they eat the herbs?

Back