• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Recovery Food

Alicia

Mama Doe
I'm trying to make a first aid kit type thing for the rabbits, I've already got a mini one for the guinea-pigs which includes a mite shampoo, a fly-strike spray, tweezers, guinea-pig brushes (not really first aid but they're in there) and kitchen roll.
I was going to buy some recovery food for the rabbits, is it a good idea to get some just in case? Or should I not? Also, I've seen a few for sale which type should I get?

I have some in my first aid kit. You should note though that you should never administer it unless you are 100% sure that the bunny hasn't stopped eating because of an obstruction in the bowel as you can do more harm than good. I never use it unless I've spoken to my vet first.

And once bunny is checked and cleared of potential blockage you will need a large syringe ie one that has a large opening such as a 60ml syringe (I bought one from my vet) because the smaller ones clog up when trying to syringe feed also a packet of baby food such as Ellas kitchen (spinach) to mix with the recovery food to make it an easy consistency to go through the syringe!

I had some spare in my medicine box from when Molly was unwell, but be aware it does go out of date fairly quickly.

Yeah it's probaly worth getting some. It's a really good idea having a first aid kit for them, think i'll do one too! :) Having towels, blankets and a snugglesafe heatpad could be good things to put in too?

Critical care is excellent and once opened has a shelf life of 6 months (within bb date of course). I have the fine blend one and can be syringed in a 5ml syringe easily (but mine does tend to eat off the spoon with this one).

Back