• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny Bonding confusion!

Hey Guys.
So its been 6 weeks since Scooby has his neuter and it was time to bond him with my first rabbit, Dora.
It the first time I've had to bond rabbits so I've done lots of research about it. However, some of the things that are happening with them arent mentioned in anything.
Scooby grooms Dora on the head, but she refuses to do it to him. They touch noses for a bit and then a while later, theyll fight. They wont even allow eachother to touch eachothers bums! Also, no one has mounted anyone yet!
I'm just really stuck and I just dont seem to be making much progress from whats already happening.
Any Help, Advice???

Cheers

If Scooby grooms Dora, it means he has accepted her as the boss. Generally only the top bunny gets groomed.

Bunnies are not overly keen on having their bums touched, as this tends to be where they would get nipped, so they are sensitive about that area.

The nose touching sounds like a stand off to see who will get groomed.

Did you just start bonding today?

Im sure someone will come along and give their opinions/correct my theories if they are wrong.

How long have they been together so far?

A bit of grooming, a bit of (hopefully not too serious) fighting and no mounting is progress - bonding takes time and patience, it doesn't always all happen straight away and it doesn't necessarily all happen at all. In the early hours, nothing happening is excellent progress, as it shows that they don't hate each other and just need to learn to trust and accept each other.

It's quite normal for one bun to groom and the other to not, sometimes during bonding this swaps around over the early days, sometimes it doesn't. We bonded a pair of buns the other week and she groomed him almost straight away, and humped him all afternoon with him showing no signs of any response...it wasn't until the following day that he suddenly decided he'd had enough of being humped and started to hump her. Shazza is quite right that nose touching is often both of them refusing to groom the other - so it sounds as if they are trying to work out their hierarchy.

Often it is when one bun has had enough of being humped/bossed about (or when and tries to have a go themselves, or when top bun demands grooming but doesn't get it, that fights happen, so do keep a close eye out and try to strike a balance between letting them get on with it and stopping them from actually fighting. In the early hours I watch the body language and if they are heading towards each other with ears flat back and tails up, I talk sternly to them and put my (usually gloved) hand down the middle and this often stops them in their tracks if they are about to launch. But if they are heading towards each other ears up and interested, I leave them to it.

Good luck x

I started bonding 3 days ago. Today they laid down beside eachother and Scooby was grooming her, as usual. But just a few minutes later, they had a scuffle. Are they friends or foes?!?!!

They're neither at the moment - that's the whole point of bonding, and it's quite normal for them to still behave like this after a few days. Have they been together constantly for the past few days? Where are they and what size pen?

Back