• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

do you know this plant? a challenge for the green-fingered!

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
I know, but only becuase my parents told me. :lol: I don't think there will be that many of them about in deepest darkest Ayrshire. ;) Don't worry, I haven't been feeding it to Spenser.

P8230522.jpg

no really - now if someone had asked when the kiwi fruit was first introduced to England, and who was the plant hunter that found it and brought it to England . . and I told you . . . then THAT would have been cheating :lol::lol:

no really - now if someone had asked when the kiwi fruit was first introduced to England, and who was the plant hunter that found it and brought it to England . . and I told you . . . then THAT would have been cheating :lol::lol:

well - ok- 1904 from China and discovered and brought over by the plant hunter Ernest 'Chinese' Wilson . . who also discovered the Lilium Regale in Tibet and was caught in a landslide on his way home with thousands of bulbs of them, and broke his leg, and ever after walked with what he called his "Lily Limp'

Am I likely to get any kiwi fruits from it? :p

not in Ayrshire I wouldnt have thought - not ripe ones anyway - unless you can build a small glasshouse around it.

also you need both a female and male plants. . . (common with lots of fruiting plants)

also it may well be an ornamental rather than fully fruiting variety -

not in Ayrshire I wouldnt have thought - not ripe ones anyway - unless you can build a small glasshouse around it.

also you need both a female and male plants. . . (common with lots of fruiting plants)

I'm not really into gardening I'm afraid, but I've become really quite interested in this plant - just seems so odd to have a kiwi plant in Ayrshire. We acquired it from a very green-fingered friend of my parents. It has certainly grown a lot since it arrived.

:p I love your wealth of knowledge! and the story is great...Lily Limp!:lol::lol:

Back